Chapter 26

It had been a hellish couple of days. Now Clara could truly appreciate how much work had gone into the ball she had attended in Araminta's place. The Norrington staff had put her to work helping with cleaning and decorating. Cadence, the head of staff who Clara met the last time she was at the manor, recruited her to help make sure all of Araminta's preferences were in order.

Clara hoped she would be able to speak to Lucretia during all the mayhem, but whether intentionally or not, Lucretia seemed to be avoiding her.

The day of, everyone acted like things were normal. According to Cadence, Mr. and Mrs. Norrington wanted to make the engagement seem like it was all Harrison and Araminta's idea.

"If it's their idea and completely impromptu, why would I be putting Araminta into a 30-pound silver ball gown?" Clara complained to Cadence. "Why can't they just own up to the fact that this is all their idea?"

"I wish I knew."

So that meant normal breakfast and lunch meals, with Araminta dining alongside the rest of the Norrington family. She barely looked at Harrison and only spoke when answering questions directed at her.

Araminta had barely spoken to Clara in the past few days. She had barely spoken to anyone. When her parents came, just a few hours before the ball was set to begin, she gave them a brief greeting but then returned to her chambers.

So now Clara was helping Araminta get ready. She did her hair in an elegant updo of twists, braids, and curls, and with makeup completed to perfection, the only thing missing was the dress.

"My lady." Clara had the silver gown unlaced at the back and ready for Araminta to step into it.

Araminta glanced down and then slowly got up, stepping into it. "It's a shame no masks this time," she said as Clara laced up the back. "Or else I could send you in my place again."
It took Clara a moment to figure out that she was making a joke. "I think that would only serve to complicate things more," Clara said. "Because then are you engaged, or am I?"

"It would make for an interesting wedding."

Clara smiled as she pulled the corset tight around Araminta's waist. "Well, you look lovely, my lady," she said.

"I suppose I do." Araminta sighed and turned around. "You should go get ready," she said. "I expect you to be in the entrance hall precisely on time."

Clara nodded and hurried back down to her own room. She shared with Beatrice this time, but she had barely seen the chef. Beatrice wouldn't be out with guests during the ball, so she had no reason to get dressed up. She would be in the kitchens, somehow managing to keep an endless supply of food appearing for guests.

Clara stopped short as she entered her room. Lucretia sat on Clara's bed and stood up as she entered.

"Hi, Clara."

"Hello, Lucretia."

Lucretia clasped her hands together nervously. "I'm sorry I haven't spoken to you recently," she said. She stopped, unsure of how to continue.

"Should we help each other get ready?" Clara suggested. Lucretia would also be helping the staff out with the guests.

Lucretia gave her a grateful smile and nodded. "Yes, that would be wonderful."

After Lucretia returned to her own room to get her own dress, Clara sat the other woman down on the bed to start on hair. Neither one of them had the extensive amount of hair products that women across the sky would be using to get ready for the ball tonight, but Clara had plenty of practice of making more out of less.