Possessed - Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I woke up cold and had a dry mouth. If that was all I was getting after a night of drinking then I was happy! I shuddered; it was unusually cold in my room. I wrapped my quilt around my body and shivered. Why was I so cold? Great, I’m getting sick. I groaned. Being ill now would be seriously bad timing, I’d only been working a week.

“You up, Girl?” Dante called through my door. “Frankie’s on her way. We’re going to stalk your mystery man in half an hour.”

I groaned again, louder. This was going to be a bad idea. “Yeah, I’m up.” Reluctantly pushing the quilt off myself, I got out of bed. What? I frowned. “Dante? Come in here.” My door opened but I stared forward at the open window. “Did you open this?”

“No,” he replied. “You probably did when you were drunk. Actually we should lock that, you could have fallen out.” He stepped beside me and looked out of the window. “Yeah, you’d probably die if you fell from here.”

“Thanks,” I replied dryly.

“I’m serious, Devon. I’m locking this now.” He left the room to get the key. I hadn’t opened it.I wasn’t completely drunk and I remembered everything from the night before. I would have remembered if I had, wouldn’t I? A chill ran down my spine making goosebumps break out over my skin.

This is seriously messed up! I backed away just as Dante came back into the room. “I’m getting ready,” I muttered, and grabbed the first pair of jeans and top from my wardrobe. Forget it, I told myself, as I locked the bathroom door and turned on the shower.

As I showered, I tried to rummage through my mind and find when I opened the window. Perhaps I had and just couldn’t remember. I’d done things when drunk that I couldn’t fully remember, like getting undressed and into bed or taking my shoes off and leaving them in a club. I had been a lot more drunk than I was last night, though. I made a mental note to speak to Frankie about it on Monday, away from Dante.

When I left the bathroom, Frankie was in the kitchen staring at my best friend’s back. Shaking my head, I smirked at her. “Morning,” I said.

She blushed and raised her eyebrow. “Morning. Hung over?”

“Nope. You?”

“Nope.”

“Let’s go,” Dante said. “I’m starving.”

Butterflies flitted around in my stomach. I felt sick. This was such a bad, stalky idea. I had never followed a guy around before, not even when all of my friends at school were running around trying to catch a glimpse at their latest crush. I was a twenty-one-year-old woman acting like a fifteen-year-old girl!

“I can’t believe I’m doing this,” I said. “I’m so pathetic.” I almost felt like I had no choice. It was crazy, I knew that, but as much as I wanted to turn around and go home, I couldn’t. Something forced me forward, made me need to see him.

“You’re not pathetic. This guy could be your prince charming,” Frankie replied.

“Just remember you’re not allowed to love him more than me,” Dante said, and pouted.

I rolled my eyes. “Not gonna happen.” We reached the café and I almost had a heart attack. “Oh God, oh, God.”

“Breathe, Girl.” Dante pushed me forwards but thankfully, Frankie walked in first.

I felt him before I saw him, if that was possible. My heart raced and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. Gulping, I glanced to the side and my body went wild. He sat with two of his friends, laughing. His eyes sparkled as he smiled. I wanted to run to him. I didn’t even know his name!