20. You can't just mess with me like this.

"Hello?" I started.

"Hey?" Carlos said in a confusing tone over the phone.

"Can we meet up?"

"Sure where?"

"My house right now." I said a little too hysterically.

"What's up you sound stressed?"

"I'll explain when you get here." I said in a hurried voice.

I hung up and he arrived about ten minutes later. "What's up?" He asked while jumping onto the couch next to me.

"So I did something—bad." He lifted one eyebrow.

"My ex didn't stop bugging me so I kinda told him I had a boyfriend to get him to stop." I said while looking down in my lap.

"Again!" He laughed.

"Yes and I thought since we have pretended to be a couple before, we could do it again?" I asked hopefully.

"And that would require me to do what exactly." He narrowed his eyes questioning at me.

"You have to act like my boyfriend. And we have to make it believable." I explained.

"You really want to get rid of him don't you?"

"Yes and no. For now I need time for myself. I need time to think, and I can't do that when he only makes me more confused." I sighed and looked up at Carlos.

"And you think he's gonna back off if I pretend to be your boyfriend?" I nodded.

"Ok let's do it." I smiled.

"Thank you. I owe you one."

"Is there anything else I need to know?" He asked.

"Yes."

"You can tell me over dinner, I'm starving." He said cutting me off.

"Sure but first I have to tell Sophie that I've got a boyfriend. it's not gonna be believable if my best friend don't know about it."

+++

The next day I had Carlos pick me up for school. When we got to school he opened the car door for me like a real gentleman. He put his arm around my shoulder and we walked up to Sophie and Tyler.

"Hey guys." I said and caught their attention.

"Omg Tess who is this hottie?!" He laughed a little.

"I'm the boyfriend." He said and grinned.

"I see. Well you two should totally come with me and Tyler to the cabin this weekend!" She said eagerly.

"Sounds great!" Carlos replied before I could decline.

I looked up at him. "Well we have to go to class now." I said to Sophie.

"See you later then." He said and kissed me goodbye. I jumped a little, although I tried not to show it. I didn't expect him to kiss me. When we left Sophie couldn't stop telling me how cute we were together.

After school I looked for Carlos, but he was nowhere to be found so I just went home. Later that day Sophie showed up at my door. "Hey!" Sophie was all dressed up in a short blue sparkly dress.

"Hey?" I said confused.

"Why aren't you ready yet?"

"Ready for what?" I asked even more confused.

"The party."

"What party?" What???

"Shit didn't I tell you. We are going to a party at Tyler's." She laughed at her own stupidity.