54| soucouyant

I remember growing up in Couva, in Central Trinidad, there was an old lady who lived in a tree adjacent to the main road. All the older children in the neighbuorhood told the younger children that the old lady was a soucouyant. 

Every single time I drove past that tree, I made every effort not to look her directly in her eyes or I would indirectly invite her into my house where she would then suck my blood to gain youthfulness. 

Yes, you heard me. 

A soucouyant is essentially a shape-shifter who appears as a lonely old lady during the day, but by night sheds her skin and transforms into a fireball. It is said that the soucouyant preys of first-borns or newborn babies and sucks the blood out of them to regain youthfulness and maintain immortality. 

Luckily, there are ways to repel the soucouyant, such as placing a plate of rice outside your door, because she will have to count every grain before entering, and if she miscounts, she will have to re-count. If the soucouyant draws enough blood, the victim will die and have to assume her skin. 

If not, the victim usually wakes up with a blue bruise on some part of their body. 

My childhood best friend claimed she looked into the soucouyant's eyes and the next morning woke up with a bruise. 

Who am I to dismiss her claim?