Chapter four

"Stop dragging me."

"No Crosshair, if I stop you will be alone in the room and lonely."

"I'm already lonely..."

Tech rolled his eyes at his brother. "Plus, I need you to see. I left my goggles in the room." He stated. Crosshair grumbled but let Tech continue to pull him to Riley's quarters.

Crosshair had woken up in the middle of the night to the sound of thunder and woke up Tech. Tech—being the smart-ass he is—immediately noticed that two of their brothers were missing.

"How do you even know Hunter and Wrecker are with her?" Crosshair asked. "They have to be. It's the only logical conclusion as to where they went." Tech stated matter-of-factly.

Tech let go of his older brother once they reached the door to Riley's apartment. He punched in the code and the door opened. "It's pitch black." Crosshair said.

"Of course it's pitch black, it's the middle of the night Cross." Tech reminded him. Crosshair rolled his eyes and walked inside. "I thought you didn't want to come here?" Tech teased.

Crosshair ignored him and walked into Riley's room. Hunter and Wrecker were on either side of her sleeping soundly.

Tech approached them and tapped her head. She stirred a little and then carefully sat up. "...Tech?" She asked. "Can we stay here?" He asked. "Sure honey-wait 'we'?" She looked around the room and seen Crosshair standing by the doorway.

"Yes of course." She whispered. Tech crawled in bed next to Wrecker, careful not to wake him. Riley reached her hand out to Crosshair. "C'mere, Crossie." She told him. Crosshair climbed in bed but didn't know where to lay.

"Come here." Riley held her arms out and Crosshair climbed on top of her. She wrapped her arms around him and kissed the top of his head. "Goodnight boys....I love you." She whispered before drifting off into sleep.

[time skip brought to you by Han having a good feeling about something]

Hunter woke up to the sound of light music playing. "Riley?" He asked, sitting up. He seen that his three brothers were in bed next to him still sleeping.

Hunter got out of bed and walked out of the bedroom. Riley was cooking something in her kitchen whilst humming the tune of the song that was playing from her datapad.

"What are you cooking?" He asked, walking up to her. "Oh good morning, Hunter! I'm making you breakfast. The mess hall is having porridge and I didn't think you boys would want that." She told him. Hunter shook his head no and watched her pour egg yolk onto a pan.

"Just so you know..we love you too." He blurted out suddenly. Riley smiled and looked over at him. He smiled back and hugged her.

Riley turned her attention back to the eggs and began scrambling them. Hunter let go of her and sat on the couch.

One by one the rest of the cadets came walking out of the room. The only one left was Wrecker. Tech was helping Riley finish up breakfast, and Hunter and Crosshair were watching speeder races on the holoscreen.

"Tech, pass me the salt please." Riley said. Tech did as he was told and handed Riley the salt shaker. "Thanks. Can you pour you and your brothers some blue milk?" She asked him. Tech's face lit up and he ran to the fridge.

There was a loud groan coming from the bedroom and all eyes turned to see Wrecker walking groggily out of the room. "Mom what are you cooking?" He asked, half awake. "Eggs and porg beacon." She said, not looking up from the stove.

Tech, Crosshair, and Hunter looked at the two strangely. "Did Wrecker just call her mom?" Hunter asked. "More importantly, did she just respond to it?" Tech asked. Wrecker—still half asleep—slumped onto the couch.

Tech poured everyone a glass of blue milk and places all the glasses on the dining table. Riley finished plating everything and handed Tech two plates. They set the table and sat down, along with Wrecker and Hunter.

"Mom what are we doing for training today?" Hunter asked. Riley didn't even notice what he called her as she sipped her milk. "Uhh I'm not too sure. Maybe blaster lessons?" She said, unsure. Hunter looked at Tech amused and they nodded their heads at each other, already knowing what the other was thinking.

Hunter whispered something into Crosshair and Wrecker's ears and they smiled mischievously. "Mom these eggs are really good!" Wrecker complimented her. "Thank you!" She smiled.

"Hey mom can you take me sharp shooting?" Crosshair asked, smirking. "Do you even know how to use a rifle?" She asked. Crosshair rolled his eyes.

"Mom."

"Yes Tech?"

"You do realize we've all been calling you 'mom' right?" Tech asked. Riley froze and looked at him bewildered. "W-what?" She asked hesitantly. "Wrecker said it first when he walked out of the room—he said it twice actually. Then Crosshair said it." He paused, watching her confused face. "Did you not notice?"

"N-no I didn't..."She admitted. "Oh well ok, I guess we can just go back to calling you Riley now." Hunter said. Wrecker made an 'awww' sound and his face saddened. "I just didn't notice because I actually see you boys as my own I suppose. But Wrecker, you can call me whatever you want." She told them. Wrecker smiled widely and took a big bite of his porg beacon.

"Um mom, you're getting a call on your transmitter." Tech pointed out. She got out of her seat and answered the call at her desk.

"FINALLY! ANNA, RILEY ANSWERED THE KRIFFING TRANSMITTER!" Mandy shouted upon seeing Riley's face. Riley rolled her eyes and laughed. "I missed you too, Mandy."

"Did you just wake up? You look like you're in your apartment. Who are those boys sitting at that table? OH MY MAKER, ARE THOSE THE CADETS?!" Mandy ranted. "Yes, those are my boys." Riley answered her.

"Awww they're eating breakfast with you! Wait you called them 'your boys' are you like their mom?" Anna asked excitedly popping into view.

"Yes." All of the boys shouted from the table. Riley blushed of embarrassment and groaned. "Why'd you call? Seriously." She questioned.

"We wanted to make sure you and your new sons were getting along considering you never answered our letters." Mandy answered calmly. Riley rolled her eyes. "I've been busy." She told her.

"Yeah sure. Anyways mom still thinks your job sucks and that you should come back home." Anna said. "I'm not leaving. I love my job, and my cadets. If she has a problem with it then oh well." Riley argues.

Crosshair listened intently from his seat. "Do you think she's gonna have to leave?" He asked his brothers quietly. "Of course not. She will stay with us until we graduate." Tech reassured him.

————————————————————

Word count: 1156