Chapter 10: "You Go, Satan"

I told Davis I'd meet him there (at Heat), and I think he was relieved to hear it. I wouldn't be surprised if he avoided me after the movie date fiasco. Nothing had happened, technically, but there had been a weird vibe, and I could only imagine how freaked out he was, after almost kissing a gay guy. Or maybe he wasn't? Or maybe he didn't mean it as a kissing thing? Maybe he wanted to -- what? What?

Ugh, I had to stop over-analyzing this.

Jem put together the outfit - it wasn't quite as stretchy and revealing as she'd wanted, but she still had some good ideas, which I followed since my own sense of fashion was throwing on something baggy, so I could hide in it.

When we got to the club, the whole place was packed.

"There they are!" Jem said, pointing at a booth where Davis, Emma, and a few other people, sat. Including that sneering guy I didn't like. I discovered that his name was Simon. Davis called him Sim and they seemed to be close, which I didn't like, but whatever. He could have whatever friends he wanted to have. I wasn't his... anything really.

"Um," I said. "Let's go to the bar first."

She rolled her eyes. "Fine."

We ordered a couple of martinis and before I knew it, someone was touching my shoulder. I turned to see Connor there. Jesus, I had never seen him wear anything but those preppy boring clothes of his, but now he looked... well. Hot, really.

He wore a form-fitting blue shirt that made his blue eyes pop, even in the dim light, and his pants were just a bit tighter than usual. Without meaning to, I had scanned his whole body in seconds, but I noticed he did the same with mine.

"Hey," Connor said. "Didn't know you came here."

I shrugged. "Like everybody else, I guess."

Jem smirked. "Hi. Connor, right?"

"Yeah. You're Jemma?"

"Jem." She got that glint in her eye, the evil one, and added, "I'll be back, boys, don't do anyone I wouldn't do."

I snorted. "Uh-huh. You go, Satan."

Connor frowned, but didn't say anything. He was always so quiet, and I generally struggled to think of socially acceptable things to say in a place like this. I was so used to seeing him in a professional setting that now everything seemed... weird.

"Where's your twin?" Connor asked.

"Who?"

"That guy, Davis, the one who's always around you."

"Oh, uh..."

"I mean, don't get me wrong, he's cute and all, but I think you can do better than that clown."

Wait... what?

"He's somewhere around with his friends," I said, feeling hot around the ears from Connor's intense curious gaze. "We're not always together. We're just friends."

He relaxed. "Okay then, what will you drink?"

"Nothing, thanks," I said, remembering that time with the roofie guy. "So are you having fun so far?"

"My night just got interesting," he said, and a few minutes later, I had a pink cocktail in my hand and we were talking about our shared passion. When I laughed at something he said about over-exposure, his eyes flickered and all the humor drained from his face. His eyes were big and dark, and he was watching my mouth like he wanted a bite. Testing the waters, he pulled me closer by the waist, so my body was flush against his.

Like a deer caught in headlights, I just stared at him. Who the hell just grabs someone?

A man of few words, he simply cocked his head, closed the distance, and pressed his lips against mine. Slightly at first, then harder, seeking entrance. For some reason, I stiffened and then I pulled away accidentally. Or was it on purpose?