Chapter 15: "Stop. Talking."

I avoided any place where I would meet Davis accidentally for the next day, and thankfully, he did the same. I felt empty and hollow, like I'd lost something that had previously been important. I didn't understand how Davis could become who he was to me so damn fast.

It made no sense.

Connor mostly ignored me, other than when we had to work on the project together, and it was only Jem who was there for me, whenever I needed her. I was really fucking grateful to have a friend like her.

On Tuesday, I made the mistake of going to the kiosk for coffee because I'd forgotten to buy some from the shop. Davis was on a bench nearby, but by the time I saw him, it was too late to turn around. Seeing me, he jumped up and walked toward me.

I steadied myself. I was an emotional rock. I would not let him shake me.

"Hey Jethroe," he greeted cheerfully, but it didn't reach his eyes. "I figured you'd eventually have to fuel up."

I didn't know what to say, so I just ordered a mocha latte.

"Thanks," I said to the barista and turned to leave.

"You're not gonna talk to me? Seriously?"

I took a deep breath and faced him. "What do you want?"

His smile faded. "I, well, I want to talk to you?"

"Was that a question?"

"Jamie, damn it, would you just listen?"

"I'm listening."

He looked left and right, probably checking if anyone was eavesdropping. And he said, "I don't exactly remember what was said the other night, but I remember it was a fight."

"Uh-huh."

"So... care to clue me in maybe?"

I kept my mouth shut.

"If you'd answered my texts, I wouldn't have had to ambush you."

Right, the texts, I'd forgotten about them.

Hey did you come to the party last night?

I feel like something happened but I can't remember.

Hellooo Jimminy you there???

"Jamie, come on, why won't you look at me?" he asked, and he did sound kind of pathetic, so I finally looked right into his eyes.

"It's not a big deal, Davis, you were just drunk and you said some things that were true, and I guess we decided not to do anything... else."

"What things did I say?"

I shook my head. "It doesn't matter."

"Jamie, what things?"

"That you didn't want to turn your life upside down for some guy, and honestly, I can't blame you. Nobody would blame you. So stop acting like you're trying to make up because we don't have to do that. We can go back to being friends, okay?" Even though it would kill me.

"Is that what you want?"

"What?"

"Is that what you want? To be friends?"

"I–"

"I want to be more than friends," he said firmly. "I can't believe I fucking have to say it after the other day, but I'm gonna say it as many times as you fucking want to hear it, Jamie."

My heart lodged into my throat. "Davis, you don't have to–"

"Stop. Talking," he grunted, coming dangerously close to me. In public. "I know you're used to putting up walls and controlling stuff, but this isn't one of those things, Jamie. Guess what, this thing between us, isn't one-sided. I have a say in what happens, too. Stop trying to shut me out."