17

● AUTHOR'S POV

"Thank you." Ava thanked before unbuckling her seat belt.

Xanthos nodded in response and she scooted closer to the car door. Glancing one last time at him, Ava stepped out of the car, soon after Jean; a brunette haired man, held open the car door for her.

After their little chat at the playground, Xanthos had offered Ava to drop her off by her accommodation, as it had gotten a bit late, and Ava had also agreed to accept his courtesy.

Offering a polite thank you to Jean, Ava briskly walked towards her quarters; offered by Xanthos' club for the employees.

Passing through the gates, and giving the watchman security guard a little nod, she lightly ran upto the main door, and punching in the numbers she entered unlocking it.

"Call him over." Xanthos directed Jean, gesturing towards the security guard.
The security guard had his eyes already fixed on them, and once Jean called him over, he came right away, as the guard had gotten a glimpse of Xanthos when the car door opened, and had immediately recognised him.

"Sir?" the security guard said adjusting his bullet proof vest.

"Inside." Jean instructed the guard, pointing towards the backseat, as he kept the car door open for him.

The security guard hesitantly got in, and Jean shut close the car door behind him. Walking around the car, Jean adjusted himself back in the driver's seat.

Fishing out his phone and tapping on it a few times, Jean put it back in his coat pocket, a second later one of Xanthos' personal guards from the car behind his, got out and walked to stand in the security guard's position, and taking out his gun he cocked it.

"Just some cautionary procedures. It is better to be safe than sorry." Xanthos remarked, as he smiled at the guard, whose sweaty temples and incoherent gulping was evident of the fact, that he was panicking to all that was going on around him.

"So, you're the new guy?" Xanthos questioned, crossing his legs in the wide space, his posh car offered.

"yeh--" the guard's voice cracked, and he started again clearing his throat, "Yes sir. My name is Jonathan, I started working here 2 weeks ago."

"Mhmm. What did you do before Jonathan?" Xanthos asked, locking eyes with him.

"I worked as a night guard at an apartment complex, but it was shutdown by the city officials because of safety concerns, the building was too old to withstand winters anymore." Jonathan explained making and breaking eye contact. "I-I'm an insomniac, so the job kind of suits me." he added.

"Well, do your best then Jonathan." Xanthos smiled, but the hints of warning in his tone, were as clear as day.

"Yes sir." Jonathan replied and took his leave, after Xanthos excused him.

Xanthos already knew about Jonathan, and him being the new night guard at the employee quarters, he just believed, that as a precautionary measure, it was best to meet the security recruitments in person, atleast once.

---

Ava had changed into a much more comfortable wear, and was now lying down on her bed.

Taking a thin lock of her hair, she twirled it around her fingers, as her mind kept going back to the night's events, especially the one where Xanthos had told her, that she resembled him.

She could feel her cheeks getting warm, as her mind replayed the scene where Xanthos had tucked away a few strands of her hair behind her ear. The scenario just kept popping up like a recurring ad, and she couldn't help but feel a little odd, she felt this strange feeling bubble inside of her, that life hadn't presented her an opportunity to be familiarised with, ever before.