Chapter 44: Apparently Helping Makes Me a Dinkleberg

--------------------Percy's POV: -------------------

"Right, so tell me everything that you remember" Carter said, holding his coffee cup tight like it was his only lifeline.

The two had ordered their coffee while I sat at a coffee table, the goods I'd already gotten sitting in a bag and a cup carrier beside me. Once they'd gotten their drinks they'd sat down, reestablishing who they were and what our relations were. Apparently, we weren't as close as I'd first presumed. We'd supposedly only met up a few times to take down big baddies as Sadie liked to say.

"Well," I looked down at the clue cupcake, finding it as a way to stabilize my thoughts. When Sadie saw it, she'd laughed, saying it wasn't surprising but not elaborating further only saying 'some things never change' . "I remember Annabeth, Leo, Hazel, and Jason. There might be more but not much."

Sadie laughed slightly. "Course you remember Annabeth. Even after breaking up your bond holds strong." I blinked a few times, trying my best to imagine me with the blonde-haired girl from my memories. Maybe that's why I remembered her so fondly. "Anything else?"

I paused, looking down at the blue frosting. "I remember falling." I looked up to see the two thinking about it before the realization hit and Carter gained that worrying look again.

"How far?" Carter asked calmly, though I could hear the hint of worry.

"Too far" I replied, wiping off the small bit of frosting off the side of the cupcake, sticking it in my mouth quickly as the two let it sink in.

"Is that what caused this?" Sadie asked.

I shrugged. "I have my suspicions but I'm not 100% sure." The two were quiet and I could tell that they had the same question on their mind. Why did I fall? I guess siblings really do think alike. "I remember being with Jason and Hazel. Jason was on this cloud horse thing and Hazel was in front of me, the two of us were on this black horse that could talk. All of a sudden something in the clouds moved and the next thing you know Hazel's falling. I suppose we're really close because I jumped off without thinking, pulling her back onto the horse but losing myself in the balance."

"The clouds..." Carter put a hand up to his mouth as if the mere thought made him feel queasy. "How did you survive?" The question, while one that we both shared, Carter seemed to say it with a lot more ambition. I guess someone who can manipulate water doesn't survive long falls.

"Not sure. I blacked out." The two stayed quiet.

"You survived though, and now you got us." Sadie said with a smile, giving me a confident look, one that Carter didn't quite share. "We'll call up Annabeth, I'm sure she'll be here in a second and you can regroup." I nodded, relief washing over me. That was until my phone buzzed viciously against the table. I also noticed Carter's hurt look at the fact that Sadie had Annabeth's number, mumbling, "She gave you her number but not me??"

I picked up the phone, Bruce's face popping up. Crap, I completely forgot about the food. I picked up the call, putting it up to my ear as Sadie started to dial a number.

"Percy! Is everything okay?" Bruce's voice, while not particularly different, sounded a bit concerned. I really should've left a message.

"Yeah Bruce! I'm just fine don't worry about me. I just... I got caught up with some old friends I-"

I heard the screams before anything, my gaze quickly turning to the street just as a car was thrown into the glass. One moment the car was coming at me, the next I'm on the ground, my back on the floor and a weird spinning in my, well, everything. I realized all too late that my eyes were closed.