Chapter Four

I sat on the small seat in front of the window, my feet pressing into the cushion. An open book rested on my thighs, but I had long since stopped looking at it. My mind had wandered far too much from the book to return to its pages, so I just sat and stared at the window on the grounds below.

Despite being summer, dark clouds rumbled overhead, making everything humid. The clouds made everything appear grey and removed any sense of summer from the air except for the heat that made the house feel stifling. Outside wasn't much better. From my window, I could see the gardeners red-faced and sweating from their work, even though the sun had yet to make an appearance. Father had said that a storm was brewing.

Neither of us had mentioned our meeting in the stables a few days prior, and I had kept my word about the girl. Since that first sighting, I had seen nothing to suggest she was still in the woods and decided that she most likely wandered off to the village. At least, that was what I told myself. Deep down I thought she might still be in the woods, but with Father's warning still playing in my mind, I tried not to think about her.

A sharp knocking sound came from my bedroom door and I turned to face it. The door squeaked open, George poking his head through the small opening.

"I thought as much," he said, stepping into the room. "When your father said you were studying, I knew you would have given up the ghost by now."

"I haven't given up anything. I just cannot focus."

George nodded. "If you say so, Master Nate."

"Can I help you with something?"

"I am heading into the village on some errands for your mother and thought you may like to accompany me. You have not left the house since the Seabrook's visit and your father agrees it may do you some good to come with me."

"Are you taking the carriage?" I swung my legs off the cushion and stood up, stretching my arms back.

"No, I am going to ride down. We might travel through the woods and see if there is any sign of your ghost girl."

"Father says I am not to speak of her anymore."

George raised an eyebrow and folded his arms over his chest. "In the time I have known you, you have never listened to your father if you could help it. You're a stubborn young man, Master Nate. Make no mistake."

"This time is different."

"If you say so." George shook his head as though he didn't believe me. I did not blame him. I hardly believed the words myself. "Would you like to accompany me or not? I must leave soon."

"Very well. Let me change and I shall meet you in the stables."

George nodded and stepped out of the room, closing the door behind him. I sighed, taking the book from the window seat and placing it on my bookshelf to return to later. Not wanting to keep George waiting for too long, I changed into a more suitable shirt, my riding jacket, and my riding boots, and stuffed some coins into my pockets before leaving my room.

I stepped across the hallway and past Alice's bedroom where she sat at her writing desk scribbling a letter to one of her girlfriends who lived up-country. She did not hear me pass, and I tried my best not to disturb her as I did not fancy another lecture about missing my studies for riding. Once I had cleared her room unnoticed, I jogged down the stairs and out the front door, following the path to the stables.

As promised, George was already waiting inside. He stood holding onto the reins of his horse, Cobalt, a large black stallion that looked intimidating but was the sweetest horse I had ever met. Joseph stood nearby with Lightning, the horse already tacked up even though it had not been over five minutes since we had arranged. George must have known I would go with him before he asked.