Chapter Five

"Perhaps it would be best for you not to mention our discoveries to your father, Master Nate. He would not be all too pleased," George said as we led our horses back through the woods.

"I won't. After the other day, I know better than to mention the girl, but I need to speak to Joseph about her. He knows something, I'm sure he does."

"Do not be too vocal about it. If your father catches on, he will carry out his threat, that much I know for certain."

"Have a little faith in me, George. I know what I'm doing."

"That's what scares me."

We lapsed into silence as we continued to lead our horses through the woods and back to the house. I had mostly spent the ride home going over what we had heard from George's friend and the various theories that might explain the theft of so much food. George agreed with me that there could have been some sort of link between the girl and food, but he was also confused about Joseph's role in the entire situation. Still, it was nice to have someone who believed me for a change.

I spent the rest of the ride through the trees keeping an eye out for any sign of the girl whilst trying to come up with the best way to talk to Joseph. When I had first mentioned the girl, he had clammed up and refused to say anything other than not knowing who she was. There was little doubt in my mind that the next conversation would go the same way. I had to be subtle with my questioning, but subtlety had never been a strong suit of mine.

When we reached the house, the dark clouds had well and truly settled over the property and the woods. It had become so dark that one might have mistaken it for the evening, even though the afternoon had yet to pass by in its entirety. George and I steered the horses across the grounds to the stable door before the two of us dismounted and led our horses through the door.

Inside, I expected to find Joseph completing his usual afternoon chores, but he was nowhere to be found. One of the other stable hands, Martin, stood inside Genesis' stall, topping up her hay for the evening and preparing her for the storm ahead. Martin was a slight boy of thirteen who had a way with animals like I had never seen. He had grown up in the village working in the inn but had come to work for Father when the innkeeper had to get rid of him for cost purposes.

Upon seeing us, Martin stepped out of the stall and looked at us, his head slightly bowed, as was his usual stance.

"Where is Joseph?" I asked, handing him Lightning's reins.

"He is in the house speaking to Mr Thorpe. He is worried about the horses with the storm coming," he said. Martin spoke in only hushed whispers, afraid to speak too loudly in case he got into trouble with anyone.

"Right." I sighed. "If you see him, tell him I am looking for him. It is rather important."

"Yes, Sir."

"See that Lightning is settled for the night; he does not like storms despite his name."

"Yes, Sir."

"Thank you, Martin," George said. He kept hold of Cobalt's reins. "I shall see you this evening, Master Nate. I must untack Cobalt."

"Can one of the staff not do it for you?"

"Your father said I am free to ask them, but Cobalt is my horse and I do not wish to put more work onto the stable hands. We shall do just fine ourselves."

"Very well." I nodded. "Thank you for today."

"You are very welcome. I hope it was interesting and enjoyable."

George gave me a knowing smile and tapped his finger against his nose. I bit back a smile and left the stable, stepping out onto the grounds. The trip to the village had certainly offered me a lot to think about and I had a feeling there was more to George's invitation than originally stated. He seemed more than happy to discuss my wild theories about the girl and even offered his own suggestions. Something told me he was just as interested in the girl as I was.