Chapter Twenty-Five

The events at the supper had left me exhausted. Even though I hadn't had a drop of the wine on offer, my head ached with the sunlight that streamed in through the window. I groaned and rolled over, burying my head in my blankets and trying to return to the blissful throes of sleep. At least in sleep, I could avoid the inevitable confrontation with Father.

Once he had recovered from all the wine he had drunk, of course.

I listened to the sounds of the birds outside my window, the rustle of the trees in the light breeze, and the footsteps of servants moving around just outside the door. The blanket didn't keep out the sounds or the heat, but it allowed me an additional barrier from the outside world, and it was a barrier I needed to last.

Since the previous evening, I hadn't spoken a word to anyone else in the house. Father, Mother, and Alice had all gone to bed when the Marlow's had left — my leaving did not have any impact on the night. George had come up to see me almost half an hour after I had left the table, but I had feigned sleep and he didn't probe any further. I couldn't avoid that forever.

Sooner or later he would come to talk to me, as would Father, and they were two conversations I wanted to avoid. Although I knew that my conversation with George would go far better than any I might have with Father, I still didn't think I would face it. I would rather have forgotten the entire night had happened, something that I knew would never happen.

"You cannot stay under there forever, Master Nate." George's muffled voice carried through the blanket. I hadn't even heard him come in or knock.

"I can, and I will. Just let nature take its course."

"Unfortunately, I cannot do that." I felt the bed shift beside me as George sat down. "You will have to face last night sooner or later and I am going to recommend sooner. The longer you leave it, the worse it is going to be."

I pushed the blankets off my face and turned to look at him. "It's going to be bad, anyway, regardless of how long I leave it for. Father is going to blame me despite the fact that he's the one who made the comments in the first place. It is going to be a mess and I am far better hiding from it."

"Or you can face it like a man and be the responsible one in this scenario. Your father won't admit his mistakes, but you will look far better in his eyes if you own up to yours. Be the adult."

"That's not going to work, not with him."

"You won't know unless you try. Now, out of bed. I brought some breakfast with me so you can eat in here. You scarcely ate a thing last night."

"You sound like Mother."

He laughed, standing up. "If that is what it takes to get you to listen to me, then so be it. Get out of bed, eat the breakfast, and get dressed. We can discuss it a little more after that."

"Were you and Mother separated at birth?" I mumbled, pushing the blankets back and sitting up against the pillows.

George laughed but said nothing. He handed me a silver tray with a cup of orange juice and a plate of bacon, scrambled eggs, and toast. After having barely eaten anything the previous evening, my stomach grumbled at the smell and I dived in, devouring the food before George had finished opening my curtains to allow the sunlight into my room. At least I wouldn't have to face Father on an empty stomach.

Once I had finished eating, I dressed slowly to prolong any potential conversation just that little bit longer. With no fancy supper, and the heat still growing by the hour, I pushed my shirt sleeves up past my elbow and left my top button undone. Father would no doubt have something to say.

I didn't think Father could still take the moral high ground after the way he had behaved during supper. He may end up putting it down to the wine, but there was no excuse for what he said after the countless warnings he had given me. My actions at supper had been a result of his behaviour, but I doubted he realised that.