Chapter Seventeen

"Is this your plan for the next week and a bit?" Alice asked, nudging her head towards the stack of books on my writing desk.

"Why?" I put my hairbrush down and raised an eyebrow at her. "Do you have a better idea?"

"Any idea is better than the one you're using. I'm surprised Miss Edwards hasn't died of boredom these past few days."

"Then what's your idea? I'm assuming you have one or you wouldn't be in here."

Alice's eyes widened slightly, surprise crossing her face for a brief second in response to my statement. I hadn't intended it to sound so harsh, that had been the opposite of my intention, but I didn't appreciate her waltzing into my bedroom and thinking she knew better than I did. It was bad enough when Father did it and I didn't expect it from my younger sister, especially as she had spent such little time with Rebecca in recent days.

If she had wanted to help me, she could have come to help at any other point in the week, but she hadn't. Father had been adamant that she be with me during my meetings with Rebecca, and yet she hadn't been there once. Instead, I had left the door partially open to prevent any talk from the servants, although I didn't think they would do such a thing. If Alice wanted to help, she should have offered it immediately, not several days later.

"I just thought Miss Edwards might like some fresh air. She's been cooped up in that room since she got here. It's enough to put anyone in the asylum. A change of scenery and some fresh air might be just what she needs."

"Do you think it will help?"

"It won't do her any harm. It won't do you any harm, either."

"Me? This isn't about me."

Alice shrugged. "It partially is, Nate. You need to do something fun for a change and stop obsessing over Miss Edwards or you are going to send yourself to the asylum."

"I'm fine, Alice."

"No, you're not. George told me about Father inviting Mrs Marlow for supper and it doesn't take a genius to work out why he extended the invitation. You need a break as much as anyone else, and I'm sure that Lightning could do with a ride. He's been cooped up in his stall for several days."

I let out a small, exacerbated sigh, knowing I had been beaten. "Fine."

"Excellent. I shall go and ask Miss Edwards, and you can go down to the stables and have Oliver tack up Lightning. We will meet you outside."

With a smug smile, Alice walked from the room with a small bounce in her step as she went. Although I hated to admit it, she had a point. I had been so devoted to figuring out what happened to Rebecca that I had neglected Lightning and myself in the process. A ride around the grounds with Lightning was exactly what I needed to try to cool my head and forget about my conversation with Father the previous day.

I quickly changed into more appropriate riding attire and left my room, throwing myself down the stairs so I might have Lightning tacked up by the time the girls appeared. Excitement bubbled up inside of me and I felt like a child on Christmas morning as I stepped out the front door and crossed the grass. The sun blazed and the dry grass crunched under my feet as I ran towards the stable.

The door to the stable had been propped up, no doubt to prevent the horses from overheating, as I approached. I stepped inside, a tad winded from my run across the grass, but far more relaxed than I had been that morning. Sweat beaded on my forehead, but I wicked it away with the back of my hand and approached Oliver, who looked at me with a raised eyebrow and a broom in hand.

"What can I do for you, sir?" he asked.

"Could you get Lightning tacked up for me?"

"Yes, of course." He placed the broom against one of the stalls. "What do you have planned for the day?"