Chapter Thirty-Four

"What do you mean she's gone?" I looked at Alice. "You were supposed to stop them from leaving."

"I tried! You gave me no indication as to why they should stay and you've been gone for ages!"

"You are not in a position to be demanding things from your sister, Nathaniel." Father stared at me and I prepared myself for him to yell about the state I found myself in, but his gaze softened a little. "Before we go any further, you need to get out of those wet clothes before you catch your death. We'll have to summon Doctor Merrick back when this rain stops. Even from here, I can see how much pain you're in."

I glanced down at my left arm. My wrist had started to turn a deep shade of purple and moving it would send a wave of pain up my entire arm. The whole of my left side didn't fare any better. Every breath sent more pain rippling across my chest and my left hip ached with every slight movement of my body. This time, I had not escaped unscathed. Perhaps it was my punishment for not being able to help Rebecca the way I wanted to. For not being able to save her.

My arm could wait. Everything else could wait. There was still a chance that we could catch them; a slim chance, but a chance nonetheless. A cold wouldn't be too bad of a result if it meant we could get Rebecca back.

"How long ago did they leave? Maybe we can catch up with them," I said.

"No, Nathaniel. They are long gone by now and I am not having anyone going out in this. It's too dangerous."

Alice looked at me, frowning. "What is this about, Nate? Where did you even go?"

"To the village. I had to speak to Joseph and Mrs Reed."

"Who?"

"Mrs Reed. She was the Marlows' old housekeeper. I thought I told you that already. I had to ask her something about Lily. It was important and it couldn't wait."

"You're talking in riddles, Nate. What's going on?"

"Her name wasn't Rebecca Edwards," I said. "It was Lily. Lily Marlow."

A still, oppressive silence settled over the entire house, smothering every sound - the rain on the window, the creaking of the floorboards, even the clock seemed to stop ticking. I could hear my heartbeat pounding, blood rushing through my ears. The room fell still. I might have thought time had stopped were it not for the rain still hitting the window.

Alice stared at me without blinking. Several emotions crossed her face in a matter of seconds – confusion, concern, intrigue. Father's eyes widened in shock. Either from the news or that I would have the audacity to make such a claim in the first place. I couldn't tell which. I knew how it all sounded. If I hadn't seen the evidence, if I hadn't spoken to Joseph and Mrs Reed myself, I wouldn't have believed it. The mere idea sounded like an immediate trip to the asylum was in order.

Mother stood up from the settee, the first person to break the stillness that had trapped us. She approached me and placed a light hand on my forehead, just missing the bruises that still marked my skin. She thought me unwell. She thought me to be suffering from a malady that had altered my behaviour and caused my continuously careless attitude. Except I wasn't unwell. For the first time in a long time, everything had started to make sense and I could breathe again. Almost.

"Did you hit your head?" she asked. "We really need to get you out of these wet clothes."

"No, I didn't." I brushed her hand off my head and stepped away, curing the fingers of my right hand into a fist. "I'm fine. Fine."

"No, you're not, Nathaniel. Fine doesn't include you claiming to Mrs Edwards to be Lily Marlow. She died years ago."

I reached into my pocket and wrapped my shaking fingers around the pendant. The metal was warm against my icy fingertips. I pulled the pendant out, throwing it at Father, who caught it by the chain. "Open it."