26.

"Down here," Nate says as we run through the streets, slipping on ice has already led to the pair of us banging elbows, knees and in my case a split lip.

The buildings are burning so much better than I expected given that it was winter and everything has been covered in snow for months. We skid around a corner, crashing into one another as Nate loses his footing. No one has seen us, but still, the panic is real. Every time we turn a corner, I look for somewhere we can jump to, but I keep losing my grip on Nate given the terrible surface we're trying to run on. Even if I could escape I need to take him with me. There are so many footsteps in the snow, clear signs of the villager's escape. I am so desperate to find them that I don't give much thought to escaping completely. Just enough to avoid getting burned to death.

The village ends as abruptly as it began and we're suddenly on a dirt road leading down to the lake, ahead of us a beautiful chateau stands. Towers stretch up from the most elegant looking house I have ever seen. Everything about it looks feminine, from the round towers, stretching up to the mountains and stars that loom over it, to the winding path that leads to its doorway. Once you make it passed the intricately wrought patterns on the tallest gates I've ever seen.

Nate doesn't hesitate, he grabs the gates and climbs.

I consider it but Inkspot nudges my hand and I use the shadows to step through instead. I smile up from the inside of the gate as Nate struggles to get his leg over the top of them.

"You ok?" I check.

"I hate you." He mumbles before slipping and sliding his way back down to earth.

I grin and race him up the path. Our escape mixed with finally finding this place has given me a rush of adrenaline, one I use up pointlessly running when I should have been checking and making sure we were safe.

I realise this belatedly when I hit a wall of air that throws me back into the middle of the path. Now it's Nate's turn to smirk.

"You ok?" He checks and I groan forcing myself up.

"What was that?" I push myself back to my feet and slowly walk back to where he is standing. Carefully he reaches out, before stepping onto the front step without any magical barrier kicking him halfway back to the gates.

I tentatively stretch out my hand. Again, I land on my back in the middle of the path.

"Magic?" Nate says and I growl.

Once again, I drag myself up and make my way to the door, stopping just before the barrier can knock me down again. I pull Inkspot around me, I'm not sure but maybe he can get me through. Feeling the sprites cover me I take a step and land beside Nate in front of the door, with no barrier. I sigh as the sprites slip away and I remain where I am.

Nate smiles and leans against the pillar, "Next problem, it's locked."

I groan and sink to the floor. "I'm done." I shake my head and then spot something unusual in Nate's trousers. "Nate, your trousers are glowing. Maybe you should see a doctor." I look up at him, very amused at my own joke.

Nate frowns down at me but as he notices the green glow he rushes to shove his hand into his trousers pulling from his pocket the amulet that bound us together.

"Well, that's a relief," I tease as I scramble to my feet. "Is that...?"

"Yeah," He says and holds it out flat in his palm. As he moves it towards the door a loud click signals the lock opening, just before the door slides open revealing a group of terrified looking villagers.

"We're not the enemy. We're just looking for shelter," I say as Nate says similar soothing words.

"Your majesties," An old man with grey hair says, as he clip-clops towards us.