33.

Back at the camp Veva disappears to share the news with Freya and Aefric while I search for my dad. The ship is quiet now, most of the crew are asleep only those on watch still prowl around. My dad is crossing the deck as I climb the ladder, he waits for me his white hair shining in the moonlight.

"More good news?" He asks me, his eyes on his crew as they move around the deck.

"The Queen wants to sink the ships as soon as they hit open water." I explain, "But Nate thinks he can persuade The Mer to stop them sinking, maybe take the ships to safety."

He nods, "That's a great idea," He grins proudly at me before taking my arm. "Walk with me."

I roll my eyes, amused at his military tone. "Yes, Sir." I mock and he smiles.

"Please," He amends and I fall in step beside him, climbing back off the boat and wandering to the cliff edge.

"I'm sorry." He says finally, and I shove my hands in my trousers - Adam's trousers.

"You don't need to..."

"I do, I need to say it for my own piece of mind." He sighs, bracing himself against the wind that is the only remnant of the storm. "When I took you from Rami, she said you were a gift." I bristle beside him but don't say anything. "She didn't mean, something to be used, she meant you were a joy to have around.

"I know this has been a hard road so far. I knew it would be. I also knew you'd be able to handle it. You have been a warrior since the first day I met you." He smiles at me then, and I smile awkwardly, feeling uncomfortable and also like I want to grin widely, a strange reaction. "The only time I fought Leo, my whole life, was the night he took you from me. We knew there was something between you and Nate, it had been there since day one. Leo had a hard time keeping Nate away from the barracks those first few years. Then Adam and Tommy distracted him, still, I found him wandering around sometimes. I don't think he even knew what he was doing by then. We didn't understand it, so we kept you apart." He sighs, "What I'm trying to say, and failing, is; I love you. I am your father, through and through. You've been the greatest gift I ever received." He smiles and I shake my head as if I can just dismiss the compliment. "And, that boy loves you, and we have manipulated it for our own means. If you love him, which I think you do, lean into it. Love has a magic all of its own."

He falls quiet as if the poetry of his words has stunned him as much as it has me.

Lean into it.

"I'll try. It's scary." I answer finally. "He isn't easy." I add.

He wraps a big arm around me, pulling me into his shoulder.

"Oh, love is terrifying." He grins. "But I didn't raise a wimp, did I?"

I laugh then, small and slight but still, it feels nice to have him to myself like this.

"Go see him, speak with The Mer and I'll sort out this factory with your friend Chesterton." He almost orders and I tsk.

"I suppose, I could try a bit harder at expressing my feelings." I offer.

"There's my brave girl. Now, go check in on that Princeling, save hundreds of Fae, then come back and take over the throne." He smiles.

"Sure thing, all in one day, or will you give me two?"

"Eh, I'll give you two, but I expect it done in a day and a half." His grin stays with me as I pull Inkspot to me slipping into the shadows without another thought, appearing inside the faded door I'd left only a few hours before.

It's now the early hours of the morning and yet Nanny Dowling is still bustling around, she sees me appear in the shadows and tsks as though this is just another of the things she has to put up with today.