VI

My Christmas List: December 3rd
Please let me get through these meetings.

❆❆❆❆❆❆

When I made it to the estate or compound... or hotel? I don't even know what to call it at this point. Someone was ready to take my car, driving it down to the garage, which seemed to be hidden underneath the large estate.

I could only imagine how many cars they had down there.

I felt relieved when Arthur greeted me while one of the many bodyguards took my suitcases and followed the kind butler upstairs. A room on level seven was prepared perfectly for me, and I almost felt shocked at how nice it was.

The floors were the same black marble with the sculpted white walls while a large furry black rug was underneath the large bed. There was an entire glass wall that slid open on command with a remote, which lead to a long balcony. The balcony overlooked the backyard and also gave me a perfect view of busy Chicago in the distance.

There was a large en-suite attached which look pristinely clean and a walk-in closet as well. I even noticed another smaller room was attached, which I assumed to be an office. The room had a long desk with a plush office chair, and another small balcony overlooking the backyard.

To say I was impressed was an understatement. Whatever this place was... it was more than accommodating.

Feeling content and overly productive, I decided to unpack my work belongings and start on some planning. I figured I'd save unpacking for a later time since I would rather get ahead with work. Maybe the faster I work, the faster I can leave.

In the span of eight hours, I managed to secure meetings with a few caterers and stagers for tomorrow morning, I emailed Armani about a house walk-through for more planning, and I also started on my CGI models for the event and the design of the house overall based on the blueprints I had. CGI is truly the most time-consuming, but even when the clock displayed that it was well past twelve in the morning, I still hated the idea of calling it a night.

It felt like I was giving up when I knew I could push through and finish it.

Even as I continued working, my eyes grew heavier and heavier, but I refused to stop. After a few more minutes of typing, my eyes began burning, which in the end forced me to rest my eyes.

"Just for a minute," I said, murmuring to myself as I held my eyes closed.

When my alarm went off, I jumped up, which inevitably landed me on the floor. I groaned, a sharp pain shooting through my body as I landed on the cold marble floor. The marble was definitely as hard as I had imagine.

I rubbed my eyes, looking out at the glass wall. When I noticed it was daylight, I stumbled onto my feet, searching for my phone. I grabbed it from the desk, not hesitating to illuminate the lock screen, praying that I didn't miss the meeting I made.

7:31 am

"Fuck," I mumbled, knowing the meeting was at eight. I would need to get ready incredibly fast.

I guess I won't be getting my morning coffee.

Even though I felt lucky to have had a pre-set alarm, I still hated that I wasn't up earlier and more prepared. I knew I shouldn't have rested my eyes. How naive was I to think I'd be able to stay awake?

I got ready as quickly as possible. Probably the quickest I had ever done—and the entire time I couldn't help but scold my own actions for landing me in this predicament.