XLVII

My Christmas List: December 20th
Please let Armani's Nonna like me.

❆❆❆❆❆❆

"You're being ridiculous right now," Armani said, laughing to herself, but quickly cleared her throat when I narrowed my eyes.

I sighed, "How is me not being hungry anymore ridiculous?"

Armani's lips twitched up slightly, but she clearly fought the smile back down. "Baby you're asking me to leave you here on the side of the street while I go visit my nonna," she said, reiterating what I had said prior. "Me. A mafia boss—leaving her girlfriend unattended?" she said, laughing yet again like it was the funniest thing in the world.

I stomped my foot like a child. "Armani, I won't be alone, I can wait in the car."

Armani laughed harder, "Wow, this is genuinely funny," she breathed out, and I found myself growing more irritated.

"Armani I can't go with you," I whined, clearly bothered that she was only amused by my demands.

Armani shook her head, forcing her own laugh to fade off. "Why can't you? I already told you that my nonna will love you."

I sighed, pursing my lips. "But what if she doesn't? I don't even know Italian."

"She doesn't care about that," Armani waved me off like it was the most ridiculous conclusion I had ever made. "Besides, leaving you by yourself is like asking for a death wish."

"I told you I'd be fine."

"I'm not talking about you," Armani said, laughing yet again. "My nonna would actually kill me if I didn't let you meet her, especially after hearing so much about you. Then on top of that, leaving you unaccounted is a huge no—"

"Wait you talked to her about me?" I cut her short, smiling slightly as my chest grew with an unbearable warmth.

Armani smiled, "Of course I have. Why wouldn't I?"

"I...I don't know?" I said, blinking a few times. I wasn't really used to being shown off, and being on Armani's arm came with that and more.

Armani doesn't ever hesitate to establish my role in her life with anyone and everyone, and while I love that, it's definitely an adjustment after I had grown up with a manipulative attention-seeking sister.

Armani pulled me closer to her by my waist, "I hate that she did this to you."

Even if Armani didn't say her name, I knew who she was talking about. Millicent.

I sighed, leaning into Armani's chest as the fierce sun beat down on us like a warm blanket.

"Yeah me too," I said, and I genuinely meant it. I hated having to deal with what Millicent instilled in me. I felt robbed of my own sanity and self-esteem.

Armani pressed a gentle kiss to my forehead, "But I'll make sure you won't ever have to go through it again. Not with her—not with anyone actually."

While it was so reassuring to hear, what Millicent has done to me is something I'll struggle with for the rest of my life.

I smiled weakly, looking up at her. "At times it feels like the damage is already done," I said, my voice in a soft whisper.

Armani pursed her lips into a frown, bringing her hand up to gently caress my cheek. She didn't even hesitate before she said, "Then let me share the damage with you."

I couldn't help but furrow my brows, unsure of what she meant. "What... what do you mean?"

She smiled softly, "Let me share it with you—matter of fact, put it all on me. Put anything that's hurting you onto me," she said, her voice gentle but as serious as ever. It made my eyes grow heavy with tears. But not sad tears, instead, they were tears of relief. Like I had been unburdened from the weight that Millicent piled on me. It was crazy what the effect of even hearing her say that did to me. Armani softly wiped the warm tears that had fallen from my eyes, "You've been put through enough these past years, Miracle. Seriously, I can take it—let me take it."