52| white walls

Everything can change in a snap of a finger or a click of a button

Everything can change in a snap of a finger or a click of a button. The white walls, empty like it, had held no meaning of life. The room is cold like it has never had something living within its walls.

It was like all of the warmth I once knew was gone. Like it was a distant memory.

Now feeling the cold air wrap around me, I realize how I took warmth for granted. You don't truly see all of the things you have done wrong until it's too late.

It's when that snap or the button clicks you realize all of the things you wish you could change.

You wish you could turn back time and redo what mistakes you have made. But once you make those mistakes it is hard to come back from them.

Even if you do somehow manage to fix your mistakes it's always there like a faint scar or a faded tattoo that you regret getting.

I stare at the wall that has no color and has probably seen more death than I could even count.

The faint sound of the heart monitor beeping and the familiar sound of the ventilator fills the silent room.

One month London has been lying in that tiny hospital bed, unmoving and not making a sound.

The only thing keeping her from dying is the ventilator that is pushing air into her body because she can't do it herself.

I have been here for almost a month not leaving her side for too long. I'm pretty sure the doctors and nurses are tired of me being here but I could care less.

The longer I space off the more the thoughts of the crash fill my head.

Flash back

"Sir, you need to be seen." A nurse suddenly stopped me as I was trying to follow where they were taking London. "No, I'm fine." I muttered, trying to move around them. "You should be-" The more space between me and London the more my heart rate goes up.

I didn't want this time to be the last time I ever see her. "No." I said firmly and jerked out of their hold. Sprinting down the hall and reaching London right before I'm stopped yet again. They rolled her back behind a double door.

"You can't go back there sir." I grip my hair, my heart crashing against my chest. "They are taking her into emergency surgery." Another nurse explained. What if this was it? What if I never get to say goodbye?

I should have done things differently. I should have tried to hear her out to understand. I should have believed her.