39 | Cycle

I returned to the camp with a few logs in tow and placed them near Hange, who was poking at the fire with a twig. "Be careful." I warned her as I took the twig and replaced it with a longer stick.

"You seem protective." The general, Magath, noticed.

I nodded slowly, wondering why he noted it, let alone aloud.

I sat cross-legged on the ground, staring at the crackling flames of the fire. Even the smallest fire could kill us, yet titans still managed to emerge and become another threat to humanity.

Given, humanity is a threat to just about everyone else. Perhaps it is our punishment.

Still, I couldn't help but wonder why some humans deserved to live more than others. If the fire before me had grown and set fire to the entire forest, we'd all die, would we not? So why was Magath staring at me as if I was far below him?

I strayed from the thought as I glanced at Levi, who lied asleep on a sleeping bag. Inching over, I placed my hand on his chest, making sure his breathing was steady.

Suddenly, it hitched, then continued, this time unsteady.

My eyes flickered to his, which were now open. "Sorry, did I wake you?"

"No, I couldn't get to sleep."

I lifted my hand from his chest and placed it in my lap. "What's on your mind?"

"I never thought I'd be hearing you say that to me." Levi stared up at the dark sky; despite the bandages covering it, I could sense his frown. He was disappointed, likely in himself.

I had seen that expression before, from the slight wrinkle between his brows to the low rest of his eyelids.

"Levi."

His eyes flickered to me before gazing at the stars again.

"When you heal, I'd like to watch you kill Zeke."

His eyes now widened slightly and he looked at me, staring. "I've failed twice." He stated after a few moments of silence, earning a few glances from our companions.

"I didn't say that you'd do it perfectly. Perhaps you'll fail a third time. But I want to watch you kill him. After all," I placed my hand over my chest, where the wings of freedom were sewed into my uniform, "that was Erwin's order to you."

Levi hummed. "I'll do it."

"You would've anyway."

I cleared my throat and turned to Pieck and Magath. "Anyway, what's our plan from this point forward? If we simply stay here, then your homeland will be trampled. Is there anyone you know could be of help?"

Magath thought for a while. "There are two people."

I hummed. "We have a few, don't we Hange?"

She nodded. "Indeed we do."

•••

I perked up. "Pieck is back."

In the distance we saw the Cart Titan running towards us, appearing to have something in their mouth. Or rather, some people.

Pieck stopped and spat out her passengers into the lake.

"Hello Jean." I greeted to the boy, who was gagging into the lake from the putrid smell he had to endure as he was transported here.

I didn't think any of us would be able to be this close to one another without knives to each other's throats or gun barrels to each other's forehead.

Marleyans and Eldians, that is.