Chapter 12 Colorado

We spent the rest of our day tangled up comfortably in our room, the window propped open to give a soft breeze, cooling to our dewy skin. I stared up at the ceiling while my hand that was wrapped around Essie absentmindedly dragged up and down her arm. My fingertips able to feel every gooseflesh they created. Essie was like the sun and I was a sunflower, turning to her every move, loving the way it felt just to be in the warmth of her glow. If she left, I would be just the same, wilting with the loss of her presence. I marveled at how calm she looked in her sleep wishing at the same time that I could also feel that way. Until everything was dealt with, I knew that calmness wouldn't be possible for me. The concern of those men coming to hurt my Essie and at the same time not being able to protect her was always at the forefront of my mind. As quietly as possible I stood to my feet, dressed, and left the room to go next door and talk to Tucker and Joe. They both seemed excessively excited when I arrived catching me off guard.

"What are you two so excited about? You look damn near ready to jump out of your shoes."

"Colorado, you should have been across the street with us!" Tucker began but Joe silenced him by explaining they won a ton of money from poker.

"Tucker, tell me you did not swindle some poor man."

Ever so dramatic, he flopped himself on the mattress of his bed with his hands folded behind his blonde haired noggin like he was about to take a solid nap.

"When you say it like that I sound like I'm the devil or somethin'. More like I out smarted them." From the look upon Joes face, I could tell he gave no agreement to the explanation Tucker gave. Crossing my arms I said, "You need to be more careful."

How could he not have realized something so foolish put all of us at risk? Really, I could answer my own question because Tucker lived for the excitement and had to create his own when there was not any, which is exactly what he did.

"Listen Colorado, I am smart enough to outwit those guys which means they are too dumb to notice. There is no need to go about scolding me, I ain't a child."

I pursed my lips doing my best to contain myself because in that moment I could have punched his smart mouth but that was not a good idea and I knew it. Joe must have noticed my fuse was about to blow because he came between the two of us blocking my view of Tucker while addressing me.

"For what my opinion is worth, I do think he is right, no one noticed or we probably would have had issues by now but," Turning to Tucker, Joe stuck a finger in his face, "Don't do it again? Agreed?"

Tucker gave a shrug and Joe didn't seem to care for his answer because this time he kicked Tuckers shin making him cuss. "Right?" Joe asked him while staring him down, fear of God method seeming to work.

"Okay! Right! Jesus H Christ you don't have to get punchy!"

He sat up milking the kick to the shin like he got in a full out brawl. Joe looked at me and with a smirk mouthed, problem solved.

Sometimes with the three of us, it made me laugh that separately we rather functioned but together we made up one great person.

"To not be so much of a negative Nancy, good job Tucker," I told him and was rewarded with a smile, "Did you spend it all in one place?"

He lifted up his cuffed pant legs to show me some nice newly acquired boots made from sturdy brown leather.

"I will take that as a yes."

"Where is your better half?" Joe asked from besides me as he sat down on the edge of his bed.

"Asleep in our room. I think she is grateful for the bed and a little worse for wear if you ask me." My gaze went to the door thinking of her and just praying she was still resting. It was beyond me how she gathered the amount of strength she did every day to get up and push for what she believes is right, most people would have just thrown in the towel or given in to their grief but not her. She just kept pushing forward like a fire driven by the wind.