Chapter Seven | Talia

The first thing I see when I wake up Monday morning is my brand new sketch pad. I still can't believe Nick got this for me. I'm even more surprised that he remembered I told him that I want to be a designer. That conversation at the diner seemed like forever ago and I still can't believe he's one of my teachers.

I wish we'd met differently or that I was a few years older and not his eighteen year old student. Not that I think it would've made much of a difference on his end. I don't think he sees me that way. Not when he has an older and sophisticated women like Ms. Carver vying for his attention.

I try not to think about him with other women, but instead I concentrate on getting ready for school. Unlike my old high school where we could wear whatever we want- from pajamas to Crocs, Kerrington had a strict uniform dress code which consisted of all their male students wearing dark blue or black slacks, a white or light blue collared shirt and all their female students to wear a blue plaited skirt, white or light blue button up blouse and close toed shoes.

I smooth my hand over my skirt, enjoying the way my black combat boots added a little edge to the uniform. Once I'm sure I look good, I grab my backpack off the floor next to the mirror and head out.

It's only six in the morning and lucky for me no one in this house is an early riser. I walk as softly as my boots will let me down the hall and start to head for the kitchen but pause when I see Otis sitting in the recliner. He must've fallen asleep there last night.

I clear my throat, trying to act like he doesn't make me nervous. "Good morning."

Otis smiles, pleased that I remembered my manners and I have to fight the urge to roll my eyes.

Figuring I'd done my due diligence I continue to head towards the kitchen for a bottle of water. I'd get breakfast at school.

"So I guess you thought no one would notice you waking up early and leaving?" Otis left his spot on the couch and came into the kitchen.

"I didn't think anyone cared." I admit, opening the fridge. "So, where's my mom?" I ask, hoping to get his eyes off my ass which I could feel were on me.

"You know I've been real good to you and your momma. How about a thank you?" Otis asks, ignoring my previous questions.

Was he serious? He's living with us- not the other way around.

But I thank him anyways, whatever I had to do to pacify him. "Thank you."

"I think you can do a lot better than that." He takes a step closer to me.

"I'm gonna miss the bus." I try to step around him but he blocks my path.

"You have a few minutes you can spare for a proper thank you." Otis tells me. "You are so fine..." He takes another step closer to me.

I try to move around him but he grabs both my arms, causing me to drop my water bottle on the floor. "Let me go!" I struggle to get out of his grasp which he seems to enjoy because he smiles before pushing me against the fridge.

"Let's see what's under that sexy little skirt of yours huh?" Otis says before he puts his hand on my thigh.

"Mom!" I cry out before kneeing him in his privates. Otis grunts before falling over and I take the opportunity to make a run for it.

"Come here you bitch!" Otis grabs my arm again, pulling me to him and I have no time to react before his lips crash against mine.

"Otis!" My mom screams and immediate relief washes over me. "What the hell is going on?"

"Mom," I put some distance between Otis and I. "He was all over me."

"That's a damn lie, baby." Otis argues.