Chapter 14

If you like this chapter, please show it some love by giving it a vote. Thanks! Amber 

I got home to an empty house on a Sunday evening, which would be weird to some people, but it was normal for me. Mom was either out on a date or off with friends for dinner on the weekends, which meant I was on my own, yet again. I was becoming quite the cook for my age. I felt like I could be on one of those cooking competition shows. Who was I kidding? My cooking wasn't "that" good. 

Instead, I made a sandwich with a small bowl of fruit and a glass of sweet tea and went to the family room to watch a movie while I ate. I was used to being alone, which was rather sad, seeing I was only seventeen. Most kids my age were sitting at home having dinner with their families. I missed having family dinners when Dad was still alive, just the three of us sitting around the table talking about our day. When Dad died, dinners at the table became fewer and fewer as the months passed. 

"Gem! It's Ashton!" His hollering brought me out of my daydreaming. I took a sip of my tea and got up off the couch. "No date tonight?" I asked, opening the door. 

"Nah. I just came over real quick before dinner to see how you were doing. Sorry you weren't able to find a date. I see your Mom is gone. Would you want to come over for dinner? You know Mom's got plenty." Ashton motioned his thumb over his shoulder toward his house. 

"I was just about to sit down and watch a movie while I ate. Thanks, though. As for the date..." I couldn't get the rest of the sentence out before Ashton interrupted me. 

"Nice, Gem. Who asked you out?" He flashed me one of his flawless smiles. 

I was about to tell him when his Mom called for him that dinner was ready.

"I'll be right there!" He shouted over his shoulder. He turned back around, rolling his eyes. "I better go before she comes over here and drags me back home. "So, who asked you out?" He asked again, backing away from the door. 

"Noah." 

Noah? He's a player." Ashton's eyes narrowed. 

"Kinda like you." I retorted. 

"Oh, that's harsh. Sticks and Stones, Gem. Speaking of Stones. Check out these rock-hard abs as I'm leaving." He pulled up the bottom of his shirt, exposing his six-pack abs. 

"I don't want to see that." I motioned my hand for him to put his shirt down. 

"Later, Gem." He turned and ran down the steps and across the yard to his house. I waited until he was in his house before closing the front door and returning to my sandwich and fruit, waiting for me in the living room. 

                                                                                   ***** 

I managed to make it through most of the morning without having to answer questions about my upcoming date with Noah. Besides, I didn't have all the details about the date yet, so there wasn't much to tell. I knew Ashton wouldn't believe me either, so I tried to avoid him as much as possible. 

"I can't believe you agreed to go out with Noah," Ashton said, walking up behind me. 

"What do you want, Ashton?" I sighed, grabbing my tray of food. 

"Gemma, are you hitting on my ex-boyfriend again?" 

"No. I'm just trying to get my lunch, and he approached me." I turned around, grasping my tray. Claudia was standing next to Ashton, glaring at me. I didn't know what she wanted from me.