Chapter 39

I pulled into the school parking lot next to Chloe, who held up coffee the second she saw I parked. I exited the car, opened her passenger door, and took the cup of heaven from her, lifting the lid to inhale the rich aroma of mocha and Toffee nut. I pushed the top back down on my cup so I wouldn't spill any of the goodness, walking to the front of the school. I turned, grabbed my book bag from the backseat, and locked my car. Chloe motioned me to hold her cup while she got her stuff. She hurried up and took her coffee back when she saw me staring at her cup. It was like she knew I wanted to drink it, too. If given a chance, I probably would've drank hers, too, without any regret. 

"What are you going to do about Rhys?" Chloe asked right as she took a sip of her iced latte. 

I shrugged, sipping on mine. I honestly didn't know what I was going to do about Rhys. He was hot, but yesterday, when he touched my leg, there was nothing. No butterflies, no desire to rip his clothes off, nothing. I paused in the middle of the parking lot, staring straight ahead at the school, kids zipping past me, honking for me to get out of the way...Was there something wrong with me?  Why couldn't I keep a guy? Finally, Chloe nudged me with her arm. "Gemma, come on. Before one of these assholes hit you." She turned and yelled at a car that honked at us, speeding through the lot. I snapped out of my daze long enough to move onto the sidewalk. 

"What's wrong with me?" I stared at Chloe. 

"Nothing. Guys are jackasses." She wrapped her arm around mine and pulled me through the crowded sidewalk. "Later, we'll go to Sweet Escape and indulge ourselves with another latte. This will be our cheat day." She squeezed my arm, then let go of it once we were in the school. 

I got to my locker, and it hit me out of nowhere. "Maybe...I don't need a guy to take me to the dance. I can go on my own." I grabbed my Math book. "Then again, maybe I'm not meant to go to the dance." I sighed, slamming my locker door. 

"Don't say that, Gem." Chloe nudged me with her shoulder. "C'Mon, before we're late to class and, Mr. King sends us to the office for being late." I shuffled my feet halfway down the hall, lingering a few steps behind Chloe. "Gem, hurry up." Chloe paused, grabbing my arm. I wasn't in any hurry to get to Math, where I'd have to face Rhys. He was a hot-looking guy, and most girls would think I'd lost my mind for not chasing after him.  I strolled into Math class, trying to keep my eyes focused solely on my seat. 

"Hey, Gemma." Rhys smiled. 

"Oh...Hey." I slid down in my seat, feeling like an ass for being somewhat cold to him. I sat there counting down how long it would take him to ask me what was wrong. "Ten, Nine, Eight..."

"Did I do something wrong?" And there it was. 

I let out a slight sigh. "No. I'm just tired this morning." I pasted on a fake smile so he wouldn't continue to ask me questions and get us in trouble when Mr. King walked in to start class. Mr. King was a stickler for us being quiet during class unless he asked us a question. Getting in trouble wasn't high on my list of priorities today. I glanced back at Ashton, sitting there looking at his phone, his thumbs tapping the screen. He had a slight smile, which let me know he was more than likely texting Hannah. 

"Morning. Let's get class started." Mr. King entered, setting his big water bottle on his desk. I turned around before Ashton could catch me staring at him. Mr. King told us to open our Math books and paper because he was going to start reviewing for finals coming up soon. My eyes widened, realizing the dance was just a few weeks away, and I still didn't have a date for it. I grabbed my notebook, staring down at the brownish-beige carpet that covered every classroom floor throughout the school. 

"Gemma. Gemma..." I looked up to see Mr. King writing on the board. I turned my head to the left; Ashton was leaning over his desk. "You okay?" He whispered, leaning back in his chair. I nodded my head so Mr. King wouldn't catch us talking. He mouthed okay and went back to scribbling notes or drawing pictures. It was hard to tell with Ashton a lot of the time if he was actually doing his work. I turned around right as Mr. King turned around to face the class, glaring in Jude's direction. 

"Mr. Hale, is there something you'd like to share with the class?" Mr. King walked to the front of the row Jude sat in. "We'd all love to hear what you have to say." He motioned his hands to the rest of the class. "Well..." He crossed his arms, frowning.

Jude's piercing grey eyes met my gaze, and his lips curled into a devious grin. "We were talking about Gemma and her inability to keep a guy." He laughed, glancing back at Rhys. 

I sat there, fighting back the tears and the urge to cuss him out. I turned my head and dabbed my eyes. 

"What did you say, asshole?" Ashton smarted off. Ava's mouth fell open, staring back at Ashton. I sat there, dazed by what was happening around me. 

"You heard me. She can't keep a guy. It's become a joke around school. Well, actually, a bet as to who can dump her the quickest." He laughed a little harder, fist-bumping the guy behind him. 

"What the fuck!" Ashton leaped out of his chair, but Caleb grabbed him before he could lunge at Jude. Caleb kept telling Ashton that Jude wasn't worth getting in trouble over. Ashton glared at Jude and sat back down. 

"Jude, grab your stuff and get out of my class." Mr. King stepped closer to his desk. 

"What about Hughes?" He pointed over to Ashton.  

"What about him?" Mr. King asked, glaring down at Jude. "If I have to tell you again, I'll make sure you get suspended for a few days. Am I clear?" He motioned Jude to get up. Jude grabbed his stuff, mumbling, glared at me, and then back at Ashton. "Move, Jude." Mr. King snapped, opening the door. "Class, I'll be back in a few minutes. I better not catch anyone harassing Gemma." He scanned the classroom and then closed the door behind him. I turned, keeping my eyes on Ava, while she continued to sit there with her mouth open. She wasn't helping me feel any better about the situation. I rolled my eyes and turned around, sinking down in my seat, placing my hand on my forehead, shielding my eyes. I could feel their stares burning a hole into the sides and back of my head. I just wanted to get up and run out of class. 

I grabbed my stuff and raced out the door the minute the bell rang. I didn't know why I was in a hurry to get to English; I had to deal with Jude there, too. I sighed, staring into the English classroom, wishing it would vanish into thin air. "It will be okay, Gemma." Ava tugged on my bookbag. It was easy for her to say she was not the one who found out she was being used as a bet in the middle of Math. I closed my eyes and took a step toward the doorway. 

"You got me in trouble, bitch," Jude knocked into me. "I'd be careful if I were you." He glared back at me as he walked into the classroom. 

"I can't do this today." I turned and ran down the hall. Ava called after me, but I kept racing down the hall, praying I wouldn't get in trouble for running as I sprinted toward my locker. I wiped the tears from my eyes to see the numbers on my lock. I opened my locker, switched out the books, and wiped the mascara under my eyes. 

"Gemma..." 

I closed my locker door, lifting the straps onto my shoulder. "I'm really not in the mood to talk right now, Ashton." I lowered my head and turned around. "I just want to go to the office and tell them I'm not feeling well and going home." 

"Let me drive you. Please." 

"Why?" 

"I don't think you should drive being this upset." He turned, motioning me to follow him. "I'll let the office know you're sick and need me to take you home." 

"Okay." My shoulders dropped in defeat. I didn't have it in me to argue with him.