Chapter 30

"Hey, Gem." Ashton walked up my front steps. 

I looked around. "What are you doing leaving so early?" I closed the front door. 

"I didn't get much sleep last night. I heard Mom crying on and off most of last night." He looked down, then out toward his car. "Want to follow me to Sweet Escape?" 

"What about Claudia? I don't need her jumping my ass because I'm talking to you." 

"She won't be there this early. Trust me." He motioned to follow him as he turned and walked down my steps. "C'Mon, Gem." He smiled, getting in his car. He put his passenger window down. "Hurry up, Gem." He motioned to my car, then put the window back up. 

I unlocked my car and tossed my bag in the backseat. I backed out of the driveway and followed Ashton through the city to Swee Escape to get coffee before school. I kept praying that he was right and Claudia wouldn't be there this early. We were five to eight minutes from Sweet Escape when Chloe's face appeared on my phone for video chat. I clicked accept call. 

"Hey, Chloe." I kept my eyes on the road. 

"Are you in your car?" 

"Yeah..." 

"Girl, what time do you get up in the morning?" 

I glanced down at my phone briefly. "I woke up at six-thirty this morning." I returned my focus to the road. "You're almost ready, so you must have got up early, too," I smirked. 

"I did. I was going to see if you wanted to go to Sweet Escape, but I take it you're already heading there." 

"Yeah...Do you want me to get you something?" 

"I'll just meet you there. See you in ten minutes." She clicked end before I could say anything. I looked out the windshield at the beautiful pinkish-orange sky, the sun rising in the distance. It was too early for so much drama. 

I managed to park beside Ashton in the parking lot. I grabbed my phone from the stand and put it in my purse. I opened my door right as Ashton walked up to it. "Um...Chloe will be here in a few minutes." I took off walking toward Sweet Escape. 

"Wait...Why is Chloe coming?" He caught up with me. "She called me a few minutes ago; I told her I was driving, and she said she'd meet me here in ten minutes." I opened the door, and the aroma of coffee tickled my senses. I walked over to the counter about to order when Aston reminded me that Chloe was on her way. I got so lost in the caramelized, nutty aroma that I had to get my latte. I stepped to the side, letting other customers order their delicious cup of heaven while I waited for Chloe to get there. 

"Hey, Gem...Ashton," Chloe's brow furrowed when her eyes landed on him. "I didn't think you got up this early, Ashton." Chloe walked up to the counter. 

Ashton pressed his lips together, shooting me an I told you so look. "What did I tell you?" He whispered close to my head. 

I raised my hand for him to stop. I wasn't in the mood to listen to either of them. It was too early in the morning to play referee. I just wanted to get my cup of heaven and be lost in its sweetness before we had to go to school. I walked up to the counter, minutes away from enjoying my cup of caramel goodness, when I heard the most annoying sound. 

"You just don't know how to stay away from my boyfriend." 

I rolled my eyes. "What the hell do you want, Claudia?" I asked, not turning around to face her. 

"Wondering why you can't stay away from my boyfriend." 

"I'm not with your boyfriend. I'm here with Chloe, getting coffee before school. If you must know." I snapped, rolling my eyes even though she couldn't see me do it. "Can I order my coffee now, or do I have to listen to your babble some more?"