Chapter 36

I woke up Saturday morning wondering if kissing Rhys had happened or if it was just some crazy dream. I lay there for a few minutes, gazing out my window at the cumulus clouds drifting along in the bright blue sky. I couldn't stop wondering if I had dreamt everything last night. I picked up my phone, and there were no notifications. I thought about texting Chloe but knew she was still sleeping. I slid my feet out from under my warm comforter, tiptoed across my room to my window, and peeked out to see if Ashton's car was still in his driveway. I pressed my thumb on the fingerpad of my phone to unlock it, and the time fifteen minutes after nine glowed. I glanced out my window again to make sure his car was really gone. I closed the curtain and turned to go back to my bed when my phone vibrated. I unlocked my phone, and there was Rhys's name, staring up at me. I clicked on it to open the text. 

I got your number from Chloe last night. What are you doing today?

Part of me wanted to tell him I was busy, yet he probably already knew that would be a lie. 

Nothing. 

Great! Would you like to go to the beach with me today? I can pick you up around 11. 

I sent him my address and then started getting ready. I opened my drawer and started shuffling through all my bathing suits. I called Chloe on video, hoping she was awake. 

"Hello..." Her groggy voice answered. "Gem, it's Saturday." She yawned, setting her phone down. 

"Sorry, but I need your help." I glanced at my phone propped up on my dresser. 

"Help with what?" She yawned again. "What are you doing?" 

"Looking for a bathing suit. Rhys is picking me up at eleven to go to the beach." I held up a yellow bikini. "How about this one?" 

"That one makes you look washed out. I'll be there in forty-five minutes." She flung her comforter off and then clicked end. I stared at the yellow bikini. My phone vibrated again, and Chloe's silly face flashed across my screen. I swiped accept. "I'll bring over some bikinis." She ended the video again. 

I shoved the bikini back in my drawer and opened my short drawer, staring at them, wondering if I should wait until Chloe got here to help with that, too. I stared at the shorts for a few more minutes before deciding I could pick out jean shorts without help from Chloe. I started to reach into my drawer for a pair of ripped jeans shorts, ripped across the pockets. My hand paused a few inches from the shorts as my fingertips brushed against the frayed material. I clutched onto the drawer and pulled the pair of shorts out. I tossed them onto my bed and closed the drawer. I walked to my closet and started shuffling through my button-down shirts to wear over my bikini top. I got so wrapped up trying to choose a top that I jumped, fumbling a shirt to the floor when the doorbell rang. I tossed it onto the bed and ran downstairs to let Chloe in. 

"Sorry, I'm late. I thought you could use some coffee." She handed me the drink carrier. 

"Thanks." I headed up the stairs. "Why did I agree to go to the beach with him?" I glanced over my shoulder. 

"Because you like him. Besides,  Sarah and I will be there with you." 

I stopped at the top of the stairs and turned around to face her. "What?" My eyes widened as I gripped the carrier. "Uh..." 

"Don't worry. We're going with Braedon and Ty." She pried the carrier out of my hands. "You're welcome." She motioned the drinks forward. "We need to get you ready." 

"Oh...Yeah..." I turned and walked to my room. I pushed the door open and walked back over to my closet.  Chloe set the drinks on my desk and dropped her bag at the foot of my bed.