5. I agree!

Aarushi

I got up and went down after doing my morning chores. By the time I went down, like always Papa had already left. I took my usual place between my brothers and we three had our breakfast. It was Sunday so my brothers will be staying home. 

We three settled ourselves in the living room and switched on the TV. We started watching Shin-chan and laughing our asses out when my mom entered along with my grandmother. What did I do now? Sometimes I feel like I am the daughter-in-law with two mothers-in-law in this house.

"Aaru! You are not a kid anymore! What are you watching?" My mother yelled switching off the TV. I know I am 18+ but I don't want to watch adult films with my brothers. That's gross! 

"Sorry Mumma," I said sitting straight. I don't want another lecture from my not-so-cool grandmother on how a girl should sit.

"We want you to get married!" My mother dropped the bomb making my eyes go wide. This is not what I planned for my future. I want to start a job, do a fashion show of my own, and establish my own fashion brand! I know I can do that after marriage too but I want to become independent before becoming someone's wife.

"What?" Me, Kabir Bhai, and Shikar Bhai yelled at once. We three looked at each other's faces and confusion was written all over their faces.

"We. Want. You. To.Get.Married! Which part of my sentence is so confusing?" She asked placing her hands on her waist and staring straight into my eyes. I looked down unable to bear that intense gaze.

"But mumma I want to do a job first!" I exclaimed. I know she made up her mind but I am not going to give up without at least trying. This is my life!

"You can find a job after marriage if your husband allows you to." She replied.

"What do you mean by if he allows me to? Will he take my permission to do his job?" I retorted back. I am not going to tolerate this nonsense.

"Doing a job is men's duty and taking care of the home and children is women's" My grandma spoke making me angry.

"I don't remember reading it in the constitution Dadi!" Kabir bhai spoke. He looked equally irritated with their behavior.

"It's not in the constitution but it is a custom we are following for generations." She snapped back.

"But the times and traditions have changed, Dadi. You need to change your mindset too!" Shikar Bhai remarked.

"And mumma, what do you mean by if her husband allows her to? Even Priya bhabi and Neha are working but you don't seem to have a problem with them working!" Kabir bhai spoke. Priya bhabi is Shikar bhai's fiance. Their marriage was fixed 3 months ago and Neha bhabi is Kabir Bhais' lover. Both families accepted their love as we were family friends for a long time.

"I don't have a problem with them working because you both don't. And coming to Aaru, I am not here to discuss her work. I am here to ask her about her marriage." She declared in a no-nonsense tone.

"But what's the hurry in getting her married? She just completed her master's!" Shikar bhai said in an irritated tone. 

"Because I have had enough of taunts from relatives for letting my daughter choose arts and allowing her to do masters in that paying lakhs! Now, I don't want to hear taunts for not getting her married or getting my son married before my daughter!" She declared. I shut my eyes tight to control the tears from coming out of my eyes. Again! Again my mother chose to satisfy society at the cost of her daughter's happiness. 

I opened my eyes and saw my brothers raging with anger, my mother and grandmother staring at the three of us with determination to get me married. I can't let another fight break out. I know the price everyone had to pay when I put up a fight to do fashion designing. I don't want to face the same situation again. 

I closed my eyes again and opened them after suppressing all my emotions.

"I will get married if that's what you want Mumma!" I declared. I can see happiness in my mother's and grandmother's eyes but my brothers' eyes are filled with concern and worry.

I gave both of them an assuring smile. They took my hands and dragged me out. They made me sit in the car and Kabir bhai took the driver's seat while Shikar bhai settled in the passenger seat. I didn't dare to utter a single word during the entire ride. They were looking like valcanos which can burst at any time. We reached some place that looked like a guest house. Kabir bhai took hold of my hand and dragged me in.

"Speak!" Shikar bhai spoke in a dangerous tone making me gulp. Tears started rolling down my cheeks and soon I was engulfed in a hug by both my brothers. They hugged me like their life depended on it.

After some time I composed myself and broke the hug. 

"Why did you agree to that marriage when you were not ready Aaru? We would have supported you!" Shikar bhai said this time in a soft tone.

"Don't you trust your brothers?" Kabir bhai asked with hurt clearly evident in his eyes.

"I know my brothers can do anything for me but I am genuinely okay with getting married bhai!" I lied. I am hell scared thinking of marriage but I can't face another accident, another heart attack, and another breakdown just for my sake.

"But you wanted to do a job na bachha!" Shikar bhai questioned.

"And who said I am not going to? I will do a job after getting married. Maybe I will get a husband who pampers me like my brothers do and supports me in my every step like you both support bhabis." I tried to make them believe I was ready for this marriage.

"But we are not sure about this marriage bachha!" Kabir bhai spoke.

"Okay! Let's do one thing. Let mumma get the matches. You both will check everything and I will marry the person whom you both approve." I said.

"It's not just we both who should approve Aaru, your approval is most important of all. You are going to share a life with him not any of us and if anything happens, we all will support you but you will be the one who's going to face it. So, agree to this marriage or whatever if you are really ready not to please someone else," Shikar bhai said to which I nodded.

"Okay, first my brothers will test the groom and I will marry him if I like him. Sounds like a deal?" I asked forwarding my fisted hand with an open thumb. They too joined me and mouthed a deal, uncertainty clear on their face.  Why can't my Mumma and Dadi be normal? Why don't they understand their own blood and always run after pleasing the so-called society? But I can't do much about it. The one time I tried to change, my family almost lost everything and now, I don't have the courage to face something like that again. 

We then went to the ice cream parlor and had our favorite ice creams before returning home.