5. Making Water

"Sir! This is neither the time nor the place for that."

As I pulled away from Gillian's mouth, her hand pressed the back of my head until our lips again met. Then, after brushing hers across mine, she said, "It was I who invited his kiss, Judith, so you must admonish me, not Jarvis."

"Oh! But there are more suitable ways to offer your appreciation, My Lady."

"This is beyond appreciation, Judith. He has asked to court me."

"But you cannot accept without permission –" She slapped a hand to her mouth. "Oh, dear Lord. You now have none to grant it."

"The decision is now mine to make." Gillian brushed her lips across mine again, then unwrapping her arms from around me, she nodded toward the privy. "But immediately, I must make ..."

When Gillian had closed the door, Judith asked, "What are your intentions, sir?"

"I do not know. I have not before courted. My thought is that Gillian will guide me."

"Neither has she any experience of this."

"But she told me she had been interested in someone."

"None before you, sir."

"Oh!"

"Since we boarded, she has been distracted – ever seeking places where she might watch you."

"Not unnoticed, and I puzzled why she did."

Judith shrugged. "To enjoy the kind and gentle way you treat the crew. Your obvious enjoyment of all you do. Your graceful movements. Your striking appearance. I could go on and on – my head is filled with three days of her admiration, but I had not realised until now that her interest is more than her usual intellectual curiosity."

"Oh, my! I had forced myself to avoid looking at her."

"She had mentioned seeing signs of this, wondering why."

"My father's admonition – passengers, no matter how alluring, are prohibited."

Judith nodded. "Yes, this explains well your –"

"What explains what?" Gillian asked as she approached us from the privy.

"Why he had avoided your attention for three days."

Gillian planted her hands on her hips and cocked her head. "And, pray tell, why, Jarvis?"

"Father forbade the crew to – how do I say it? To become amorous with passengers."

She pouted. "So our courtship ends after one kiss."

"No, it continues with renewed vigour, now that I know."

"Know what?"

"Your interest in me."

She stepped forward, pressing the fullness of her bosom to my chest and wrapping her arms around me. Then, she pulled my head down until our lips met.

After a short while, she stopped pressing her mouth to mine and said, "Judith, you must instruct us on how lovers kiss. I have watched them on the balconies and in the gardens, and from their movements, I know it is far more than this. But at the distance, I missed their method."

Judith laughed. "Indeed, it is much different from what you know. The only similarity with greeting busses and goodnight kisses is that the lips are involved. Be satisfied with this for the time being – I shall inform you later."

"Yes, later is better. We have much else to do now." I kissed Gillian's nose and forehead and then unwrapped from her arms. "It would be best if you both remain in here until we have the – the shambles cleared. Much of the rest of the great cabin is too gruesome for your eyes."