8. Of Position and Propriety

I looked up from the chart at the sound of Jenson's voice, "Twilight approaches, sir."

"Thank you." Then, rising from the chair, I followed him toward the staircase. "None of our charts show sufficient detail of this coast to make sense of my compass bearings."

"The land is too low to accurately determine edges from this distance, sir."

"True. But I had hoped to find an approximation. However, the cartographers appear to have done little but draw random shapes to show the line of islets rimming the shoals. There is no similarity from one chart to the next."

Jenson nodded. "None of the Spanish charts show any concern for this area. Much of it is wetlands, so it is little wonder they have done nothing with it. And its worthlessness is shown by none venturing to seize it from them in the two centuries since their claim."

"True." When we emerged onto the quarterdeck, I glanced forward and then to starboard. "As I had reasoned, they continue south."

"Aye, sir. But I wager pounds to pence that they will soon alter."

"What gives you this confidence, Master?"

"Seven and a half hours southward – six and a half from seaward of Cayo Bizcayno – would take them to near the end of the coastal eddy, and they will soon enter the gulf current."

"We measured only five and a half knots a while back, not the eight or nine I would expect them to make, so they might still be well short of that."

"The same as I had measured, sir. But my notes show the eddy ends not far south of my DR to here."

"Father's notes show another ten or fifteen miles – so much confusion in this area – let us hope your notes are correct. With their fouled bottom, the moon would rise before they reach where his indicate."

"I think it is more than only a fouled bottom, sir. That would slow them a knot, possibly two. My thought is that they might have lost their master and all others competent in trimming sails across the wind." He pointed. "Even at this distance, I can see needed adjustments."

I nodded. "That would add to our favour. But their slowness would also come from towing us."

"A minimal effect, sir. With a clean and sleek hull such as ours, once up to speed, the effort to maintain is small, even with us now lower in the water. A brigantine of her length should be able to make above ten knots with this wind, eight or more with a heavily barnacled hull, above seven towing us in such a state."

I nodded and tilted my head up to scan the sky. Then I turned to Jenson. "Still no stars."

We remained silent until he said, "Judith is concerned about your influence on Baroness Cavendish."

This puzzled me for a moment until I realised propriety prevents them from using her given name. "And what is her concern?"

"That your charm has caused her to ignore reason and propriety, sir. To forget her position and the responsibility of her title."

"And to, instead, follow her heart."

"Aye, sir." Jenson pursed his lips. "But with a commoner, as Judith calls you."

"And does she regard you also with such disdain?"

"Not that I have sensed, sir. Rather, she has imposed herself upon me in ways contrary to our rule about passengers."

"And your response?"

"As enticed as you appear to be with the baroness, sir. But, like you, I endeavour to remain steadfast."