24. Coming Together

After Evans and I had examined all the mooring arrangements, we returned aboard, and I directed him to have the hands take ease for a quarter-hour or so until called again. Then, leading him up to the quarterdeck, I said to those there, "As we have seen, Evans has proven himself more than worthy of joining us."

All nodded, and I continued. "He was nearing completion of a five-year apprenticeship as master, and from his actions the past while and our discussions in the boat, I deem him deserving of the title, Master."

Martin's jaw dropped, but with not a moment's hesitation, he stepped forward with his hand extended to shake. "I congratulate you, Master. Why had you remained silent these months?"

"Thank you, sir. It was the manner the master required of me. Observe and learn – and I learnt a lot watching you all these weeks."

While the others offered their congratulations, I pondered. Needs experience before taking a watch at sea. Different manner of interacting here. For Martin, as well. And they both need accommodation in the great cabin. Cleaning and repairs required before that.

I looked up from my thoughts. "With all the officer and mate positions now filled for three watches, our next step is to divide the hands among them and establish structures in each. You have recent experience of them all, Master Evans, plus three months of observations. Confer with Bosun, Hudson and Radcliffe to add their longer experience of the others. Determine how to best form three watches."

"Aye, sir."

Then, turning to Jenson, I said, "For the first while, you will stand watches with Mister Martin to familiarise him with Atlantica's routines and procedures, and I will do the same with Master Evans."

Jenson nodded. "And when they are familiar, you will stand down, sir." He grinned. "Assume the role of omniscient and ever-ready captain."

I chuckled. "Would that I were omniscient. I had thought to stand the afternoon watches to remain in practice and refine."

"Hmmm! That leaves us with six watches, and it would have us repeating the same ones day after day, sir."

"Not if I replace whoever has the afternoon. You will maintain your seven-watch rotation, otherwise."

Jenson smiled and nodded. "And allow us a longer respite than the four hours of the dogwatches."

"Exactly. With this rotation, you would be off watch the whole of daylight one day in three. Also, it will allow my standing with each of the watches, giving me the opportunity to know everyone better."

After a short silence to further ponder, I pointed toward the four engaged in discussion. "It would be best if Master Evans and Bosun were on the same watch. The least experienced with the most experienced. Have you a preference between the other two?"

"Hudson would be better with Mister Martin, sir. He is more experienced with this ship than is Radcliff."

We continued our discussion, and within a quarter-hour, Evans approached and reported to me, "Sir, we have divided the hands into three watches, and they are now assembled below, ready for you to address them."

"Thank you. Have you also assembled the cooks, sailmakers and shipwrights?"

"We have, sir – all non-watch hands at Bosun's suggestion."

"Excellent!" I turned to Jenson and Martin. "Come join us at the rail."

Below us stood four groups, and after a pause to think, I said, "Well done, all. The pumping, the careening, the caulking, the feeding in royal style, and now mooring us for the coming storm."