6. Of Knots and Naughtiness

While we ate, Jenson and I discussed where we might be, and I again reached into my waistcoat pocket for my watch, grimacing at my forgetfulness. "The pirate we questioned said the helmsmen used a watch to time the bell. Do you know what came of it? I miss mine dearly."

"Bosun has it – it was in one of their pockets, sir."

"Excellent. We can set it to sunset, and if the solar tables have survived, we can adjust the time to eighty degrees west. Then, if one of the sextants remains undamaged, we can shoot the polestar at twilight."

"With solstice approaching, sir, we have little need of tables for time; only for the star."

"True – little difference in two weeks, and we can calculate from this morning's star adjustment." I pointed out through the windows. "From the sun on the clouds, we continue heading south."

"Aye, sir. I saw that as I walked aft. They appear to be gaining more southings in the coastal slack before heading across the current."

"This bodes well for us."

"Indeed." Jenson nodded. "My thought is they will maintain this heading until twilight, shoot the latitude and determine what track to set across the gulf."

"Yes, this is what I would do, and I am sure you would, as well, Master. And with these waters being their hunting grounds, it is folly to think the pirates are inexperienced with navigating here."

When I paused to cut another piece of ham, Gillian looked up from her tankard. "So many unknown words and phrases. But bodes well for us, I understand, and it encourages me."

"Yes, sorry for the confusion of our words. In essence, it appears we remain close to the Florida coast. A strong current runs northward through the gulf, but the shape of the land in this area causes it to veer away, leaving a swath of rather still water seven or eight miles wide. This allows easy progress southward, and –"

"But you had said New Providence is to the east. Is that not where they are taking us?"

"Oh, it is. The interrogated pirate said they were bound for Nassau, and all else he said has proven true. But to navigate there from the Florida side of the gulf requires tacking into the prevailing wind while crossing the current. Observation over the years has shown the current to be strongest mid-gulf, and it diminishes as it nears the coast. Bound for the Bahamas, wise navigators begin well south and allow the current to carry them northward as they cross."

"And why does this bode well for us?"

"When darkness falls, and we slip the tow, we should still be near the Florida coast as they continue across the wind southward. If by that time, they had begun their tacks eastward and entered the current, it would sweep us away from them all the faster. Either way, we have the prevailing wind to allow us easy passage north and westward to Cayo Bizcayno."

"Kio biz what? What is that?"

Jenson rose from his chair. "Allow me to find the chart, sir. Not only will it assist, but it will relieve my pother about whether they have survived."

As he left, I turned my attention again to Gillian. "Cayo Bizcayno is a small islet, and its western side is among our refuges from the summer storms along this coast."

"In Florida. So, we will encounter the Spanish."

"No, highly unlikely. They have done little in this area during the century and a half since they established a mission in –"

"A mission?"

"Missionary Jesuits sent by the Church of Rome to convert the people to Christianity."

"So, the indigenous people here are now Papists."