Watching

"I can't believe I missed that." Mobius slumped in his chair at our lunch table. He was in Minneapolis for the past three days with his dad, so he's been out of the loop.

Sydney had teased me relentlessly when I first told her what happened. Not only did Scarlett Santoro drive me to her house, but we stopped for Sonic on the way there.

That doesn't make us friends though. No, we couldn't be friends. It's not just about us being different. Girls hockey and Cheerleading are on different social platforms. You think my crush is outrageous? The chance of us being friends is weirder.

"Yeah you should've just come into the girls locker room to watch." I glared at him, a playful smile on my lips. He knows I'm joking.

"Is that an invitation?" He smirked.

I kicked his chair, my smile growing. "Gross."

I shook my head at him and thought about the whole situation for a moment. Mobius had said she was staring at Sydney and I. Then at me and him. Then I ran into her locker. Then she gave me a ride and we shared a meal.

Weirdest first day ever.

Not only have we not spoken since that day, but I haven't gotten my hockey hoodie back.

And I liked that one.

"Oh God." Yoda threw his head back and groaned, "Here comes Chip."

I looked in the direction he was just looking in, and sure enough, Chip Santoro waltzed into the lunch room, his henchmen following close behind.

Jonathan Santoro. Right winger for the WestHampton Warriors.

No, we don't live in New York.

We live in West Hampton, Minnesota. A small town right outside of Duluth.

Jonathan's dad is my dad's boss. And he makes it very clear where my place is.

"I hate him." Mobius shook his head and reached for his unopened Dr Pepper sitting on the table, finally cracking the can.

"Why?" Yoda raised his eyebrows. "Genuinely, I wanna know."

Mo looked at him, "Chip is such a self centered little bitch. He's sexist and homophobic and he's just full of himself." He leaned forward a bit, "He needs a reality check."

I nodded, agreeing with every work he just said, "And he hates me."

Mobius nodded without looking at me, "That too."

"Oh God." Syd put her head on the table and groaned. The same way Mobius did 5 minutes before.

"Natalie Wilson. You grew your hair out."

Yeah, and that trip to Mexico City with my grandma and grandpa got me tan as fuck.

"Good eye, Chip."  I tried to focus on my food in front of me.

He put his hand on the back of my chair, leaning in close to my ear.

I could feel his hot breath on the side of my face. The worst goosebumps traveled across my body. The kind letting you know something bad is about to happen.

"When you gonna let me take you out?"

I wanted to jump out of my seat and onto the table, telling the whole cafeteria that I was gay. Tell them I have been since Scarlett Santoro let me borrow her pencil in 8th grade English class.

I can picture it now.

I slap Chip right across his dumb face then stand on my chair, "Attention West Hampton High School! I'm gay! Shocker! I've been infatuated with Scarlett Santoro since the 8th grade!"