Endless Chicken Baskets

I went with the Wyatt's to their lake house in Tennessee during the break. It was so much fun (like the lake house always is) but I missed a certain someone.

Two weeks away from West Hampton. Meaning Yoda, Mobius, and Scarlett.

And the team! I missed the practices and luncheon we had. But me finally backflipping on the wake board is so worth it.

So worth it.

We got back last night and I stayed with the Wyatt's again.

I was going home. But why go home when you can go see the girl who is basically your girlfriend but not your girlfriend yet?

I hadn't overthought my decision to come over until after I rang the doorbell. I should have texted first.

But the door swung open.

"I hope this isn't a bad time?" I looked at Mrs. Santoro as she answered the door.

She smiled and brought me inside, "Not at all. Are you cold? We were just making some hot chocolate."

You don't need hot chocolate. Just talk to Scarlett. Say no. "That sounds amazing actually."

She clapped her hands together, "Awesome! I'll take your jacket." Diane reached for the black cloth.

"You don't have to-"

"Oh please." She slid it down my arms, "You're a guest in my home. Scarlett is in the kitchen. I hope you like quiet. Gordon took Chip and Henry out to New York for a Rangers game and Angelica insisted she had to stay in her room this evening."

"I love quiet, Mrs. S."

She smiled at me as we walked into the kitchen, "Mrs. S makes me feel old."

"I figured it was better than Mrs. Santoro."

She winced, "Yeah, much better. I love that you are polite. It shows how well you were raised." She nodded at me as we reached the bright room, "But call me Diane."

I smiled at her, "I'll work on it."

Scarlett's head looked up from the plate of cookies and her eyes grew wide, "I thought you were with Sydney tonight?" She looked down at her outfit and ducked down behind the counter and out of sight, "Mom! You could have warned me?!"

Diane laughed, "This is hilarious. I didn't warn you for this reason." The grin on her face was maniacal and it made me think there was something behind it.

I looked between them and fought the smile on my lips.

Diane sighed and glanced at her watch, "Look at the time! I have got to get into bed." She looked at me, "Early flight to Monaco tomorrow morning to review some plans." She shook her head and smiled at us, "Goodnight girls."

"Night Diane." I smiled back at her then went around to the other side of the island, "What are you doing?"

"Hiding." She put her arms above her head and buried her face into her knees, hiding her face more, "We just baked."

I kneeled next to her, "So?"

She looked up at me. And I started laughing. Because Scarlett had flour all over her. And she was wearing a '#TeamEdward' shirt with the picture of Robert Pattinson standing in the kitchen in that ridiculous tracksuit.

"This is the greatest shirt I've ever seen."

She rolled her eyes, "I thought you were with Sydney tonight?"

My palms started to sweat, "Wanna throw some shoes on and go for a drive? I feel like we always talk in your house."

She sighed and stood up in one swift move. "I'll be right back."