No One Knows

No one knows.

As I walk through the halls, I have to remind myself that no one knows what happened over Christmas break.

That's been on my mind all day.

I had practice at 5 am. Coach definitely noticed something being off. Kitty and V too. Mrs. Moreno noticed too. I had both airpods in. Usually I write and talk to Sydney or the guys but that didn't happen. English and Stats were the same. I just can't form any sort of sentence.

"Natalie." Sydney found me sitting in my car. It's my study period. Not hers.

I raised my eyebrows at my best friend, "What are you doing outside of class?"

She shrugged and walked around the car, waiting for me to unlock the doors. And I did. When she got in the car, she put her backpack between her legs and pulled me into a hug.

And despite the center console digging into my side, it felt nice.

Too nice.

Because I started to cry.

She rubbed my back gently, "I'm glad we can drive on the roads now because I've needed to give you a hug since Scarlett told me what was going on."

I laid my head on her shoulder and kept letting the tears fall, "I never thought something like this would ever happen to me, Syd." I sniffled, "I mean, you hear about it obviously. But I didn't think-" I choked on my words and decided not to continue.

Melly hasn't talked to me either.

"Let it out. Mom said you can come to ours if you need to at any time."

I sucked in a deep breath. Because I didn't tell her about my big Christmas gift. "The Santoros got me a key."

She kept rubbing my back, "That's good." She just kept rubbing my back.

I sniffled, "This is bad, Syd."

"This doesn't change a thing. Your Dad is a dick. All that bullshit at your senior night about being a better Dad and he goes and does this." She pulled away and squeezed my hand arm, "I'm your family, Nat. Michael, Mobius, and Scarlett too. Hell, probably even that short blonde girl on your team-"

"Allie."

She pointed at me and nodded, "Allie is too. You have a support system."

"But I don't have a home."

She smiled gently at me, "How often were you actually in that house?"

"Well... Not very often. But it's the memories, Syd." I leaned back against my window and closed my eyes, "That house was my mom's everything."

"Natalie." She waited till I gave her my attention, "You were your moms everything. She is so proud of you right now. You know that. Julius literally sounds like an evil man's name. You just won your first regionals game. You're going to win at state. You're going to go to play for the Gophers. Hell, by the time you graduate the PWHL will be in full swing and boom, famous hockey player."

I sighed and fought the smile on my face, "Yeah that does sound like my vision board." I looked at her, "I love you, Syd."

"And you know I love you." She smiled at me, "Now drive to McDonalds."

"McDonalds, Sydney? Who are you?"

She hit my arm, "I'm paying."

I nodded, "Gotta keep it within the budget." I started the old car and prayed I would slide into that snowhill the school put right next to the fucking exit.