Chapter 17: Giselle

I wake up to the faint smell of cedarwood and the heavy weight of a muscled arm draped over my bare waist. My eyes are still closed as I try to remember where exactly I am. I move around when my back hits someone's bare front and the man softly groans from behind me.

The body behind mine is warm as their arm tightens around me and pulls me closer, nestling their head in the crook of my neck.

Since when did I fall asleep with a man in my bed? Yes, in London I had hook-ups but I never went to bed with any of them, it was never that serious. It hits me suddenly that I'm no longer in London but in Massachusetts. Memories of yesterday come crashing down.

Hockey game....party....headache....argument

I jump out of the bed with a loud scream, realising who I'm sleeping next to. Rafe wakes up groggily, rubbing his eyes as he turns to me.

"Could you leave your dramatic episode for later in the day.'' Rafe rubs his head. "I'm heavily hungover.''

What he says goes through one ear and comes out of the other.

Rafe's body is a sculpted piece of art work. Chiselled abs, leading to a muscled v-line where his grey sweatpants hang low on his hips. A singular silver chain rests on his chest and his brown hair more of a mess than usual.

"My eyes are up here Gigi,'' He smirks and I roll my eyes.

Rafe's hazel eyes rake up my body and rest on my chest making me extremely aware of how I discarded my jumper last night.

"You're one to talk.'' I mutter. "And lose the nickname.''

Any guy who's a gentleman or even has an ounce of human decency would've slept on the couch after seeing a shirtless girl in their bed. Rafe is neither and much rather resembles a rabid dog.

"You could've took the couch.'' I mutter grabbing my stained jumper and holding it up to my chest.

"It's my bed.'' He retorts getting out of bed and I glare at him.

"You invited me in.'' I snap.

"Don't get excited Gigi.'' He smirks. "That's not how I invite a girl into my bed.''

"That's the last thing I would want.'' I mutter.

"So you admit that it's something you want?'' He quirks an eyebrow and I remember our argument last night.

"I'm so done with this.'' I mutter.

"Being a bore again.'' His eyes are filled with mischief.

I raise my hand to slap the smirk off Rafe but he catches my wrist right before it could touch him. He backs me into a wall and leans in really close, his breath brushing my ear.

"Wanna try that again Gigi?'' He smirks, his eyes darting down to my lips and I shove him off.

I roll my eyes and walk out of his room so I can get changed and go to my training session. I pass Archer who's half asleep on the couch and he shoots me a thumbs up. How drunk did they get after their win?

Before I leave, I see Rafe in the kitchen which is an even bigger mess than the rest of the dorm but I pay him no attention as I leave, feeling the heat of his gaze on my back as I close the door behind me.

Thankfully, I'm not the last to arrive to Madame Lulu's early morning session. When everyone gets to the rink Adam leads the stretches for today and they last a solid five minutes.

Two hours into our session, Madame Lulu picks us out individually to show her our routine. When it come's to Sage's turn she praises everything she does, it makes me roll my eyes and Adam snickers from next to me.

Sage skates back to her position and a smile grows on her face as she looks over to the doors of the ice rink. Rafe walks through the bleachers and sits at the one closest to us. Sage waves at him and he shoots her a stiff smile, his eyes landing on me.

The intensity of his gaze makes me shift uncomfortably when Madame Lulu calls me up to perform.

I give our coach my song choice and take a deep breath, shaking off my nerves when Adam shoots me a thumbs up.

I skate around for a little while, picking up speed before leaping into the air and performing a triple axel. I close my eyes as I spin in the air. Unlike the last personal session I had, I manage a perfect landing. I skate across the ice, picking up speed before lowering myself to the ground. I bend one leg underneath me and lean backwards, my hair grazing the ice. I swiftly get up and skate backwards, preparing myself to do my last big leap, the Salchow leap. I jump off my left foot, spread my legs as I spin. The music abruptly stops, breaking me out of the calm serenity I was in while skating, causing me to land shakily.

"I would've expected a student like you to have worked harder by now.'' Madame Lulu says, her voice breaking the quietness of the ice rink.

"What?'' I furrow my eyebrows.

"You're technique is sloppy.'' Madame Lulu skates around me pointing out every flaw in my posture and performance. "That last landing was terrible.''

"You scared me.'' I explain. "I didn't expect the music to cut off so suddenly.''

"That's not an excuse!'' She exclaims and Adam shoots me a sympathetic smile as Sage grins proudly. "VITAL Academy doesn't accept lazy, amateur athletes.''

Lazy? Amateur?

She doesn't know how many sleepless training night I've had, how many times I've cut back on meals just so I don't become heavier for my spins.

I open my mouth to cut in but she stops me by raising a hand.

"I can see that you've lost your touch.'' I feel my eyes sting. "Daddy's money won't get you everywhere in life, you need pure talent for that.'' She looks down at me like I'm something she found under her shoe.

Daddy's Money?

I worked two jobs to pay for all my lessons back in London. How dare she disregard my work like that.

"I've worked hard for my place here.'' I say, raising my voice. "I belong here just as much as anyone else.''

"Think again.'' She barks before calling another trainee to perform.