016: dirty dancing.

ROSE CARVER, of course. Why would she leave Nicky alone. She was the girl that lended Nicky crayons and got called pretty. Of course, she called Nicole weird and deemed her as a freak ever since that day. Didn't make it any better that her brother, Jason, who's two years older, also used to bully Nicky's brother, Eddie. Jason tortures Eddie and Rose tortures Nicky. It's very imperfectly perfect.

"It's sweet. You finally found someone to date someone as pathetic as you, Nicole." Rose then laughed while Max just glared up at the blonde girl with the two minions standing on either side of her who laugh along. Jennifer Hayes and Stacy Albright. The three have always been mean girls since middle school, got worse as they went into high school.

"You can't say the same though, can you, Rose? Still don't have a date to prom, do ya?" Nicky retorted back smoothly and Rose's brows crinkle together in annoyance at her. "Maybe I'll ask one of your new loser friends and make them look like idiots in front of the whole school." She said and Nicky immediately stood up, slamming her hands down loudly.

"You can step all over me, talk bad as much as you want and say whatever you want about me, but you so much as lay a finger on any of my friends, I swear, Carver. I'll do worse than what your stupid brother did to my stupid brother that one summer." She said quietly, and Rose's mean demeanour falters, her eyes showed fear as she backs away.

"I'm not scared to show you how crazy Munsons get." Nicky now says, her teeth gritted as Rose backs away, behind her friends. "Girls, let's just go." She said quietly, because Nicky never stands up for herself. She didn't think she'd be threatened with something as such either, she remembers that from that summer before their brothers went to college.

When Jason and his goons beat up Eddie so badly he ended up in the hospital. The only reason Eddie nor their uncle didn't press charges was the hush money that the Carver family gave them, Eddie had given most of it to them then the rest he used for himself. Once Rose and her friends left, Nicky took a deep breath and slowly sat down.

Max glanced up at her then slowly a grin broke out onto her face when Nicky looks at her. "What?" Nicky mumbled, fidgeting with her hands as Max giggled. "I never seen you so heated." She says and Nicky blushed, crossing her arms. "Shut up." She murmured and Max just smiled, staring at her. "It's only been a couple of months you being friends with those dinguses but you still care a lot about them, don't you?" She then asked Nicky.

"Well, yeah. Of course I do. They care about you a lot too, so if they care for the girl I like the most, and appreciate her as much as I do, then yeah, they're okay." She shrugs and Max just smiles, glancing down. "What's her deal anyway?" She then asked and Nicky waves a hand softly towards the exit. "She's like obsessed with making my life a living hell. You haven't noticed?" She asked and Max squints her eyes, then shook her head, because that's probably the first time she's ever seen Rose speak to Nicky, like, ever.

"Well... she's the first girl I ever had a crush on and just because I called her pretty, she, like, has a vendetta against me." Nicky explained then let out a soft sigh. "Her brother also only bullied mine because she bullies me." She added onto the explanation and Max sighs. "Wanna get out of here? I hate being in public, honestly. I only wanted to bring you here because it's our first date." Max then says and Nicky just grins, nodding.

And so, they asked for their food to go, grabbed the bag and drinks before leaving the diner. They end up at a little park nearby Mike's street, sitting on a random bench where they enjoy their burgers and fries, just talking or sometimes sitting in complete silence. When they're done, Max sets her milkshake on the other side of her, tossed their trash into the bag it all came in which she sets under the bench before scooting closer to Nicky, smiling.

"Your hair really suits you, Maxy." Nicky says, slipping her hand into Max's which rested on the redhead's lap. Max interlocked their fingers together, clasping her other hand over Nicky's so she's cradling the girl's hand in both of her hands. "Thank you. I have a great hair dresser." Max says, grinning widely.

"Mmm, can't argue with that." Nicky says as she then sips her cherry soda. "We have to head to Wheeler's soon," Max says it exasperatedly, looking at the yellow watch on her wrist as she spoke. "Yep." Nicky murmured then sighed, glancing down at their interlocked hands. She smiles, rubbing her thumb over the back of Max's hand softly, very affectionately that it made the redhead get butterflies and her face got all red and warm.

"I wish it were just us... all the time." Max says and Nicky reached up, turning the redhead's face towards her so the Mayfield got shy, glancing around. "No one's around." The Munson whispered, almost as if she can sense the other girl's worries, before she closed the space between them with a light peck on the lips, she's about to move back when Max's right hand raised to her face and pulled her back in, for a much deeper kiss.

It has passion poured into it, the way Max's lips work against hers before the redhead fully pulled back and looked away, her face red as she bit her bottom lip. Nicky grins then stood up, "come on. We should head to Mike's now." She says and Max sighs, standing up with their trash in one hand, her milkshake in the other, both of which she tossed into the bin nearby before walking down the street, towards the street where Mike's house was.

When they arrive at the Wheeler's house, Nicky smiled at the sight of their friends. Will and Mike sat together with Dustin at the couch, practically no space between them by a huge gap between the two and Dustin while El sat on the floor in front of the tv, watching the movie intently with Lucas seated next to her. "Oh, hey!" Mike smiled widely at them and Nicky waved. "Hi guys." She said as Lucas now pointed between the two girls who both nod at the same time. The Sinclair smiled right away, nodding before reaching for more popcorn from the bowl in El's hands.

"We're watching Dirty Dancing because it's been on my mind since I saw the poster in your room!" El says as Nicky went over to sit at the one seated left and Max sat next to where she was sitting on the floor. "I love Dirty Dancing." Nicky smiled widely and El nods. "Me too!" She quickly turns back to the tv.

The movie was just now beginning which explained why the popcorn smelled so fresh. "Do either of you want anything?" Mike asked as he stood up, walking over to the staircase. "Yeah, I'll come with actually. Be right back." Nicky whispers to Max who just nods, staring at her as the Munson followed the Wheeler up the stairs. The Mayfield now glanced over at the Byers who's staring at the stairs before looking at her. Max smiled, scrunching up her face as if to tease him for liking Mike, so Will shyly smiled, staring at the floor.

authors note
trying to finish this up and work on my other new au that i came up with, which is a robin fic so like i'm gonna finish this at 20 chapters probably i wish i could write longer au's before i move onto the next one i come up with bc i did the same with the chrissy one 😭

+ i haven't updated this fic since that one chapter 2 weeks ago & that was it lmao