chapter 2

Thursday, 16 September

I got a bursary to study far away from home and here I am, on the plane to a foreign continent, forget county. I am excited but nervous and scared. I can't wait to start my new life in a new place, meet new people, this is a much needed change of scenery.

Anyway, my bursary covers all expenses, including accommodation so I'm sorted. I will only need cash for luxury items.

I am not feeling sleepy or hungry so I just decide to watch 'Winnie the Pooh' until I feel sleepy enough. I drift off to sleep.

After hours on this flight to my destination, we finally land in Moscow, Russia is where I'll be spending the next couple of years of my life, studying photography while living alone and gathering independence.

There is a girl who is going to be my roommate and she's picking me up here in a taxi. I search trough the people at the airport and finally spot her as she is holding up a big card with my name on it. She sees me and waves enthusiastically before running to me. She thens pulls in a big and warm hug.

Nikki: hey!
Me: hey!
Nikki: I've been waiting for what has felt like forever, I got here at 5.
Me: so you waited for me for an entire hour?
Nikki: yes.

Her accent is so Russian, it's so beautiful.

Nikki: let's go?
Me: yeah, of course.

We stand there for some time and realise that the people in the airport are staring right at us.

Nikki: ignore the stares.

I just nod and we head to the taxi. After a while, we finally arrive at our little apartment and she helps me settle in.

Nikki: welcome to your new home.

My new home? Not so sure about that yet. However, it is warm and beautiful. I am absolutely obsessed with the interior even though it is all white and neutral, it's still gorgeous.

I don't know about this being my new home though.

Nikki: you know you said that out loud, right?
Me: oh, sorry...

Eish, I think out loud most of the time. At this point, I'm beginning to think it's a disease.

Me: please help me with my unpacking?
Nikki: oh, of course. you don't have to ask me twice.
Me: not now though, later on. I am quite jetlagged so I would like to get some rest.
Nikki: okay, I will order us some food when you wake up. I will just have some cereal for now.
Me: okay.
Nikki: now, go to sleep so that you can wake up soon and we can chat all night long.

I have a feeling the next few years are going to the longest years of my life. Forget years, the next few days are going to be a drag. She is a really beautiful with a beautiful soul though and I appreciate that. I think we're going to be good friends.