The Meaning of Providence

This chapter contains very dark themes.

Jan held out some twenties to her taxi driver, still marveling at the flabbergasting prices they cost now with rideshare apps taking over the job for the most part, and sent him a grin, knowing times must have been tough and tipping him on top of her bill was the least she could do. He was a kind gentleman who took her around Providence without her even requesting. Sure, it could have been just so that he'd make more money, but the way he spoke and how jovial he was about his hometown made it worth it in her mind. As did surveying the city wherein Neil and Kenna were raised.

Speaking of the town, Jan swiveled her gaze around Kenna's street and eyed the many buildings across the way with avid eyes. On the first floor of each complex lay several businesses and on the second it appeared as though the operators of the establishments lived just above them. Although some seemed to be occupied by others renting or leasing the apartments, from whom she could see it came across that most of the tenants were the owners of the enterprises on the ground floor. What were those establishments?

One was what she expected, a dry cleaning service that had several people coming and going into the building. Most were dressed in business attire, but others seemed to just be picking up or dropping off their things on their proverbial day off, which was something that didn't come easy to Jan's typically work-filled days. One appeared to be a mother and as she opened the store door, she spoke to her son and gestured toward the other children in the area. They seemed to know him and he hurriedly joined them in a nearby alley.

Scanning the rest of the stores, Jan found a meat shop, a floral shop and lastly, Kenna's family business, Hatfield Family Deli. Peering back over her shoulder as she slung her overnight bag along her shoulder, Jan spied an old movie theater showing The Blob and Rear Window around six o'clock that evening. Never having been to an old school theater, Jan contemplated going there with Kenna that evening as she heard a familiar voice across the street. She turned forward once more and found that very person coming out of the red bricked deli, gulping as her anticipation rose.

It had been what felt like months since she'd seen Kenna, though it was actually only a few days. Still, Jan wanted to see Kenna in her old surroundings and perhaps witness just why Providence, Rhode Island would be so enthralling as to steer her away from San Saba. However, Jan knew precisely what made her flee and it had little to do with her current surroundings. Regardless, she nibbled on her bottom lip as Kenna came out of the deli and held the door open for a handful of children who came running out with a soccer ball. One of them sat atop her shoulders and played with her habitual beanie, covering and uncovering her eyes with its rim and a bright grin.

She tickled him, drawing his attention away from it as they walked to the same alley in which the previous children disappeared, prompting Jan to follow. Although, she wasn't the only adult to come after them as the mother who'd gone into the dry cleaners several minutes prior came out with a huff. Just as Kenna rounded the corner with the kids, the woman quickly bounded toward them as if on a mission and Jan hurriedly crossed the street after checking that there were no cars. She eyed the seemingly angry woman as she and another man who also came out of the dry cleaners joined her with just as much evident fury.

Jan ran as she felt the bobbing of her bag along her side and peeked around the alley corner just as she heard the mother fussing, "...told you not to be around my child! Get away from him!"

Shocked as she watched the mother yanking her son away from the ball game, Jan saw Kenna's previously joyous demeanor shift as she lifted the child from her shoulders and set him on the pavement. "Come here right now, Robbie!" His father demanded and with slumped shoulders, the boy walked over to his father as he waved glumly at Kenna. She sent him a sympathetic gaze, then tentatively peeked up at his father as he tucked him away behind his back. "We all told you to stay away from our children! They are not yours, not your siblings and don't need your influence in their lives!"