Pecan Capital of the World!!: Part Two

This chapter contains mature themes.

Johnny Cooper sang his heart out as his band accompanying him serenaded the crowd of people dancing in the streets as Kenny took another chocolate coated roasted pecan into her mouth, rolling her eyes with unadulterated ecstasy. It even made Jan's toes curl and she smiled as she placed her hand on the back of her neck, kissing her cheek. Hearing snickering nearby, Jan peeked over and saw Jordan giggling as Nehemiah whispered something into her ear. They watched their display with avid eyes and Jan ran her gaze upward to find the same expressions coating both of their fathers' faces.

Blushing brighter than ever, she took Kenny's hand and led her a bit away from them, hearing Troy literally balk from behind them. As if completely swept up in her, Kenny followed her while she chewed and expectantly looked over into her eyes. She took one of her hands and placed it on her waist and Kenny's eyes grew wide, then she tucked her food into her cheek. She smirked as she fell into step with her, dancing with the crowd to the beat and astonishing Jan with her moves. The woman knew how to dance.

How long has it been since I met someone who could move like her? Jan beamed at her and looped her arms around her shoulders, but Kenny latched onto one of her hands, bringing it down. She interlocked their fingers and began two-stepping around the area with a wide grin once she'd swallowed. The festivities were in full swing at around eight-fifteen and after spending most of their time either eating, or visiting the many stalls lining the area, the small family owned and operated stores in the old district, they'd only just now made it to the dance floor. Well, it was less of a dance floor and more of a street adorned with many decorations and lights, but still held all the wonder they desired.

Seeing her enthusiasm echoed across Kenny's features, Jan tucked the tail of her dress into her hand as she was spun around with a giggle. Kenny dipped her, leaving a peck along her jugular before she tipped her back up and held one of her hands up above their heads. She twirled Jan and gathered her closer from behind, swaying to the beat and skipping to their side before she let her out with another spin. She tugged her closer and wrapped her arms around her waist, lifting her as she began to giggle along with her. She set her down and longingly gazed into her eyes.

This was it, wasn't it? Kenny was the person for whom Jan pined day in and out and was quickly consuming her entirety despite their agreement to take things slowly. At this point, Jan wasn't sure either of them had realized just what was transpiring between them until last night and there was no way in hell that she was going to fight it. Why would she go against the very thing that brought so much joy, so much rapturing deep in her heart? The fight would never begin, not that Jan desired it. All she wanted was to see Kenny smiling and to never witness its glowing dimming for even a fraction of a second.

Jan gulped as she rested their foreheads together and the song changed to something slower, causing a more gentle sway to take over the crowd. However, even with all the fun still to be had, even with all the townsfolk jolly with their cheers or conversations, it seemed as though just as much as with Jan, Kenny had eyes only for her. She held her closely and peeked down at her lips, then back up into her eyes with that lazy blinking of hers and Jan could no longer hold back.

"Come home with me."

"You want to leave already?" Kenny asked as a smile stretched its way across her glimmering features. She scrunched up her nose and rubbed it along hers, then placed a peck there. "Get out of my head, doc."

Momentarily choked up, Jan pulled her over and kissed her as she cupped her cheeks, repeating along her lips, "Come home with me..."

Kenny arched her brow and nodded her head, prompting Jan to tug her backward along with her. Neil held up his hand and Kenny shook her head with a crooked grin. However, her smile fell as her eyes darted past her waving brother and settled on something else. Jan peered over at whatever held her fascination and suddenly felt herself fuming once her eyes laid on the very thing swamping all of Kenny's attention. There bouncing atop the head of someone with their back turned toward them was her old bright orange beanie cap and Jan looked back at her dancing partner.