Cheers for the Happy Couple: Part One

Kenna held up her brother's vest and waited as he extended his arms on either side of his body, sliding it onto them. He turned around, still just as excited as ever as he bounced on the pads of his feet and chewed his bottom lip while she fastened the buttons. She cracked a sideways grin, unable to curb her enthusiasm as well as she spotted the sparkle in his eyes. She knew his enamored expression very well at this point and couldn't wait to see how it softened when his love walked toward him down the aisle in only a matter of thirty minutes.

Struggling to finish the last button, Kenna huffed some air through her flared nostrils as she caught Neil's eyes. "I know you're excited, brother, but you have to be still or I can't finish."

"Sorry." Neil fell still and glanced at the clock again with a grumble.

"It's only been two minutes since the last time you checked. Relax, bud." She chuckled as she finished the buttons and took a step back, admiring how great he looked. "I'm excited for you, too, but we still have to get your boutonniere. Did you want to put on some cologne?"

"Nah, Troy prefers my carpenter smell." He winked at her as she feigned a gag, but even that only made him more hyper. "Oh, yeah. Keep lying to yourself that you aren't just as curious as me to see Jan in her dress. You sure you don't want to just tie the knot with us? It'd make the day even better?"

With a full blush she felt heating even her ears, Kenna turned around and searched for his flower and straw arrangement. "Seriously... Quit it."

"Aww..." With her back turned toward him, she peered through the corner of her eye as he leaned around her side with a smug smirk. "Do I sense wedding bells in your future?"

"Shut-it, Neil." She covered her face in her hands and grumbled, peeking between two fingers to see him gazing down at her with pride. Furrowing her brow as she lowered her hands, she leaned along the vanity next to herself and narrowed her gaze. "What?"

"You know you're glowing. In all seriousness, how are things between you and Jan?" Neil reached over and rubbed the back of her head with the arching of his brow. "You look so clear, Kenny. Reminds me of how you were before... Well, before it happened. Are you really okay?"

Turning her eyes toward the vanity once more, Kenna found his boutonniere and directed Neil to sit in the chair as she knelt down in front of him. "Today is supposed to be your day, Neil. But yes, I'm great. I'm..." She met his eyes and found admiration wafting toward her. "I'm happy."

As soon as she finished securing the mix of barley, lavender and oregano to his vest, her brother swamped her in a hug and she felt something wet on her neck. "It's so good to see you happy, Kenny. It's all I've ever wanted for you."

With a knock at the door, they pulled apart and she wiped the tears from Neil's cheeks, sure they wouldn't be the last for the day. He'd always been so open with his emotions and Kenna was certain that by the end of the ceremony, he'd already be a sobbing mess. With a grin as she cupped his cheeks, she met his eyes and they shared a moment of consolidated bliss. Upon her nod, both rose to their feet and as she spotted Neil moving over toward his oxfords, Kenna walked to the door.

She opened it and smiled from ear to ear as her mother's cheerful face met her. "Well, hello, stranger. Or should I say howdy?"

Kenna leapt into her mother's arms and hugged her with everything she had. "Mom! You're here!"

"Well, the flight was sadly delayed, but I'm here now." They pulled apart and Harley cupped her cheeks, running her eyes over her daughter's face. "You look so beautiful, Kenna, my dear."

"Where's dad?" Kenna peeked over her mother's shoulder as she let her face go and scanned the hallway, feeling her face scrunch as she realized Harley was alone. "Let me guess, he went to check out the food area?"