Twenty

Was this real? Someone, anyone, please pinch me so that I could be sure.

My mind raced, taking in the sight before me. I was hit with a wave of confusion before my mind went blank. There she was, running her fingers through her hair. I had never seen someone be so cool doing the most mundane of things, but that was Rebekah.

Her hair was to her shoulders, much shorter than the last time I saw her. Though, it had been three years since we last laid eyes on each other. I guess it was to be expected. She wore gray trousers and a matching blazer. Did she come back from a work trip or something? Her eyes initially widened as she was taken aback by my presence.

However, that did not last long. Her face relaxed and her cool demeanor remained intact. My eyes followed her as she walked over to the sofa and spoke to me for the first time in three years. "Can I sit with you?"

I opened my mouth, but for some reason no words would come out. I wanted to protest. Instead I took my defeat and moved over so she could took a seat between Noah and I. The moisture in my hands increased. My heartbeat also increased. What is wrong with me?

Wesley trailed behind and returned to his spot on the floor. "I hope adding one more person to our slumber party isn't too much. Someone got tired of our parents and thinks they can come over whenever they want."

Rebekah sat forward and reached out to ruffle Wesley's hair. "Aww, it's so cute that you think you have a say in me coming over. Have I been gone for that long? Besides," She turned towards me. "If I didn't come I wouldn't have gotten a chance to see Princess Peyton."

Princess Peyton? The name sent a chill down my spine. Seriously, what was wrong with me?

Wesley laughed. "She's Princess Peyton meanwhile I got names like Wiseass Wesley. Some things never change."

"Some things never change," She leaned closer to me, her eyes analyzing my face, "but why do I feel like you've changed so much?"

I leaned back to create some distance. I ended up creating too much distance, however, and fell off the sofa and onto the hard floor. I think I even heard a crack. That was enough to startle everyone. Rebekah and Noah stood from their spots and watched me as I acted like a total idiot.

I made eye contact with Noah. The worry in her eyes only made my uneasiness worse. I hoped for a second that she could read my eyes that were desperately saying 'save me.'

Wesley helped me up and softly asked, "Are you okay?"  I nodded my head yes. I broke away from them and limped my way into the kitchen. I grabbed the bottle of tequila and had my way with it. I downed four shots.

While taking the fourth shot, I saw Noah out the corner of my eyes. I put the bottle down and pushed it away. "Are you okay?" She asked. I knew my efforts to speak coherent sentences were futile, so I nodded away. I think we both knew that wasn't the truth, though.

The worst part of feeling the way I did is that I had no words to describe it. My body was eating away at itself and I had no cure. I still could not bring myself to speak. Tears welled in my eyes and my hands grew shakier by the minute. Why was the tequila making making me so emotional? I looked up, fighting to hold the tears back.

"I think..." I tried my best to get it out, "I'm going to get ready for bed."

I walked past them and focused on getting upstairs. I plopped down on a random bed in one of Wesley's guest rooms. I stared at the ceiling. And I stared. And stared. And stared.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door. I closed my eyes. I would rather pretend to be sleep than have another 'are you okay' thrown at me. They walked in slowly, walking softly as not to wake me. they reached the side of the bed and kneeled down. I could feel the heat radiating off their body.