Seven

A few days had passed since that night at the Kingston Estate, but the image of Elyse never left my mind. Her smile, her flawless hair, the sweet smile that was etched on her face.

I hated it.

Well, I hated how perfect she seemed. She didn't have to say anything and yet I was still captivated.

What has my life come to? I despised brunettes. Especially short brunettes that were as captivating as Elyse.

I sighed and rested my head against my locker before quickly regaining my composure. Get it together, Peyton. You'll probably never see her again, anyway.

I walked down the halls in search of Noah. Like expected, she was at her locker.

I leaned against the lockers. "Ready to be tutored?"

Her cheeks turned a bright pink color. Her face stay glued in her locker. "I can't. Work."

I ran a hand through my hair. She has had to work every night for the past few days and it was kind of frustrating. This was my grade on the line.

"Okay, whatever. We can work some more next week." I didn't protest. I was already preoccupied with my thoughts.

I turned away and made my way to the parking lot. I clutched my cardigan tightly to my body. September was coming to an end, and the temperatures were dropping.

"Peyton!" Wesley called as he caught up to me. "Have you talked to Ruby yet?"

I folded my arms. "No, I didn't talk to her yet. I've had time to think, and I don't think that I should apologize."

Wesley frowned. "Oh come on. Don't say that."

"Say what? The truth?"

"Look, I'm having a small party at my house. Nothing too big-just some people I'm close to. You should come."

"Is she going to be there?"

"No?" His eyes widened as he awaited my answer. Noted: Wesley is not a good liar.

My first impulse was to tell him how I would not be in close proximity to her even if my life counted on it.

But if you don't go to a party that you want to go to because of her, then you're letting her win.

I was right! If I declined, then I would be at home watching TV instead of at Wesley's party.

"Don't worry. I will be there."

Wesley flashed his perfect imperfect smile. "You're the best."

Trust me, I know.

•••

Wesley's house was no mansion, but it was cozy and inviting. He lived here by himself, so I guess he didn't need the extra space. The cottage was like an early birthday present from his parents.

Well, at least he wasn't lying about this being a small party. There was probably less than twenty people, music was being played at a normal volume, and no one was drunk and passed out anywhere.

I almost sighed in relief before a very familiar laugh slapped me back into reality. Right, you're here to make amends with Ruby so that Wesley can stop pestering you about it.

I walk into the living room where half of the party is. There she is: she's sitting on Eric's lap, chuckling and covering her mouth in an attempt to have a "cute" laugh. I hated how she faked her laugh in front of everyone. Her real laugh sounds more like an obnoxious car horn, but whatever. She caught my eyes and her lips curled into a devious smile.