Chapter 41

Niranjan welcomed the biting wind as it lashed around him.

The frigid air was nothing compared to the inferno inside and Dhriti's sobs echoing in his ears was not helping at all.

Though they have moved past their loss , still times like these put them right back where it all started.

Niranjan fisted his palm as that night flashed across his eyes like a bad reel of film.

"Aaaaaahhhhhh....." finally he howled, not able to bear the pain of his soul.

But as he brought his fisted hand onto the hard rock, his hand was met with another.

Niranjan jerked up. His tortured eyes clashed with his compassionate ones.

For a moment, time stood still.

" Cry....Bhaiya....as long and as hard as you want.... You are not a superhero but as long as you are MY hero, I won't let you break"

His own words in his voice was Niranjan's downfall.

For the first time in years, he didnt try to hide away his angst. He let his pain burn brightly for all to see.

It was gut wrenching for Ansh to see his hero so broken but still he held onto his Bhaiya as Niranjan unleashed his inner anguish.

Ansh's own inner guilt was making it's presence known and he struggled to keep it at bay, at least for a few moments more.

This time he needed to be there for his Bhaiya not the other way round.

The moment he had seen his brother driving away, he knew he will find him here.

It was always their Bhaiya's go to place. His Bade Ma's favorite.

Blanketed between the shining stars and twinkling city lights, the brothers found comfort in each other's arms....

As the dark night gave away to twilight, Niranjan could finally feel light in his heart as if all his pains were washed off in the heavy rain of tears.

Though the pinch will always remain, he decided then and there to remember the sweetness of those bitter sweet memories.

"I am sorry, Bhaiya "

The tormented voice from beside stopped Niranjan in his tracks.

Though Ansh blabbered out in his frenzied state, the regret laying heavily on his shoulders prevented him from meeting his brother's eyes.

Over the past 5 years, he always felt being let down by his brothers. But who would have thought the shoe was actually on the other foot.

He let down his brothers

The mere thought itself was like a stab to the heart that involuntarily a painful gasp escaped his lips.

" Chotu...."

The concerned voice was the last straw.

Ansh couldnt stop himself from rushing towards his Bhaiya's comforting embrace while apologizing profusely.

" I am sorry, Bhaiya.... I am really....re..really....so..sorry....I am...am..."

He was not even able to continue with the lump in his throat.

Finally, taking matters into hand, Niranjan cupped his cheek.

" For what, Bachha?" he asked gently

Ansh's eyes welled up. As usual, his Bhaiya was putting away his hurt for him.

"For letting you down, Bhaiya....for not being there when you needed me the most.....for the insolence I dished out initially.....for...."

"For making me proud of my child...." Niranjan interrupted Ansh's tirade