Chapter 2

At that moment, lightning flashed outside the window and beans of rain hit the glass.

I clutched my cell phone and held my breath, not daring to make a sound.

But I suddenly realized that the door to the room was unlocked.

I took a deep breath and stepped on the floor with my bare feet.

I had reached the door with minimal movement.

But I hadn't realized that Bella's ears were so sharp.

"I hear voices, Angela. You're still up, aren't you?"

I shuddered and bit my lip.

Bella added, "I heard your footsteps, what's going on, why don't you say something?"

I forced myself to calm down and was about to lock the door when I realized that there was no way to unlock it.

"I'm worried about you, can I come in?" Bella's voice was full of worry.

My breath caught.

I realized that Bella would definitely open the door and come in if I didn't make a sound.

I calmed my breathing and said, "Bella, I just woke up and went to the bathroom, I'm a little tired today, we'll talk tomorrow."

There was a long silence at the door. Finally I heard Bella say yes.

I breathed a sigh of relief.

But then my cell phone rang again.

Caller ID, it's Bella's name.

I frowned and picked it up anyway.

"Angela? Is that Angela?" Bella's voice sounded surprised and disbelieving.

"It's me."

I didn't understand what Bella meant.

But the next second, the sound of her screaming with excitement came from the other end of the phone.

"These days I've been calling your number like crazy. People say I'm crazy, but I just want to hear your voice again. ...."

An unbelievable thought arose in the back of my mind.

Soon Bella's next words confirmed my suspicion.

"Angela, you may not believe what I'm about to say, but I have to tell you that in four hours you will be dead."

"The time I'm at now is a week from now, and I just came from your funeral."

"You fell from the third floor of the villa and landed dead on the back of your head, and the police said you lost your footing, but I didn't believe it at all because I heard Smith on the phone in the morning before we went up the stairs.

"He took out a huge accident insurance policy on you, he must have intended to kill you, Angela, and that night I kept trying to talk to you about it, but you didn't give me the chance."

"Maybe this call is God's chance for us, Angela, please leave the room immediately and come to me, I will protect you."

Bella said sharply.

At that moment the call ended abruptly.

Once again, my phone showed the length of the call as one minute.

Remaining calls: 4

My hand shook uncontrollably as I grabbed the phone.

Had Bella just tried to get me to talk to her so she could tell me about Smith's insurance? I turned my head to see that Smith had finally woken up.

His eyes were open and he was looking right at me.

For a moment, an eerie feeling rose in the back of my mind.

"Smith, you're awake, I just couldn't wake you up, no matter how hard I tried."

I forced a smile.

Smith lifted his head and looked at me, "I don't know what's wrong today, my head is heavy."

He looked at me and said lustfully, "Angela, I don't feel like I'm in the right frame of mind right now, and I suspect it's that bottle of water I drank last night that's the problem."

I thought back to that evening when Bella handed us water, one room temperature and one cold.

Smith knew I wasn't in the habit of drinking ice water, so he was sure to take the cold mineral water.

Did Bella take advantage of our habits and get Smith to drink the questionable bottle of water?

"Angela, I actually wanted to tell you that there seems to be something wrong with Bella, but you're so close to her that I just couldn't find the right opportunity to say it."

"Take a look at this video."

Smith pulled a video from his phone.

The video is of our engagement three months ago.

The video shows Smith and I shyly smiling with the blessing of the crowd.

At that moment, the camera swept across Bella's face.

She gave an extremely strange look.

Bella looked like she was smiling.

But her eyes were deliberately wide open, looking straight at us.

Frankly, I was shocked by the look on Bella's face.

For as long as we've known each other, she's been a big-hearted, simple girl.

"After watching the video that day, I felt something was off, so I went looking for pictures of the three of us together before.

I got chills looking at these pictures from Smith's phone.

The expression on Bella's face in each photo is quite sympathetic.

She stares at me with a leathery, exaggerated, and deliberate smile.

"After that, I dug into some of Bella's past. Remember she told you she was bullied by her roommate in high school?"

I nodded.

Bella did talk about it, she was bullied by her roommates in high school and then transferred.

That was why I always felt sorry for her.

Smith took a deep breath as he showed me a screenshot of the message.

"On March 1, 2013, there was an accidental fire in dorm room 405 at Construction Middle School, killing all three people in the room except for one student who survived because he was late returning to the dorm." Construction Middle School is where Bella went to school.

My heart pounded.

It's something Bella never told me about.

"I contacted a friend of Bella's from high school, and she told me that the fire back then, which the police suspected was intentional arson but found no evidence of, was a very bad thing."

"And Bella was never bullied, on the contrary, she has a very good relationship with one of the girls in her dorm room, but since sophomore year their relationship is not as good as it was before."