State of Mind

Despite Evan's lack of enthusiasm, true to his word, he plans to help Regulus mend things with that girl.

Unfortunately, most of what Evan said went right over Regulus' head.

"That's frustrating, given the fact I'm quite sure I'm actually a lot older than this when I went into the cave and drowned. Except..." There seemed to be a slight fog regarding the drowning, and there was a lack of any firm ending. "Might be because that is how death ends. But I know my issue isn't because of my physical age when it's always been my issue regardless of my age."

"Hey?"

"Yes?"

"Hypothetically speaking here."

Evan sighed.

"If I'm not getting this after having time traveled back into my old body, is it because..."

"Bloody Merlin, Regulus," Evan said. "Can you not get distracted by one of your out-there theories? And we're only first years, and yet you do this?"

"Can I finish?"

"Fine."

"So, if I'm not getting what you're saying after having time traveled back into my old body, is it because I just never got those things in the first place?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, even when I got older?"

Evan let out a deep breath, reaching out and patting Regulus on top of his head. "There, there. I know getting sorted into a house other than Slytherin was traumatic, but that mother of yours hasn't sent a Howler yet, has she? So you shouldn't worry."

"Evan! I'm serious."

Evan sighed, closing his eyes. "Good grief." He spun a finger, letting out a sigh. "I'm sure you're just being your hypersensitive self as usual and trying to figure out some way to mentally process the whole thing, so I'll humor you for now."

"Thanks."

"Don't be," Evan said, opening his eyes. "How can you be sure that's the case?"

"Huh?"

"How can you know it's because you never grew out of being you later on, at an older age, or because you are still you as you are now, at this physical age."

"That's frustrating."

"You're frustrating!" Evan said. "And..." He frowned. "Breakfast is finished, and we need to get to class. There's your chance."

"It..."

"Partner with her."

"Huh?"

"Sit with her at the desk next to hers, or be her potions partner whenever we're together."

"I can do that! That sounds simple enough," Regulus said, smiling.

"Don't say that!" Evan sighed. "Whenever you say that, you find some way to complicate things. No, you always find ways to complicate things more than necessary!"

"Sorry," Regulus said. "But I'm going to try.

Taking a deep breath, he hurried to class, excited about approaching her, wishing he'd remembered her name, trying to remember why she as a person held such importance. Arriving at class, he approached her, only—

"What are you doing?" She frowned at him.

"Uh. Can we, uh..." He pointed at the seat by hers.

She sighed. "Black, what did I say on the train?"

"I, uh?" He swallowed. "I ran into her on the train now? Then this is..." He looked at the ceiling, pushing his lips together, swallowing, fingering his robes, realizing they were Hufflepuff robes, not Ravenclaw. "Uh."

"Is he really this hopeless? I thought he was a Black?" another girl asked.

"Be nice," the girl he wanted to talk to said, turning to the other girl. Then she turned to Regulus. "Black, your mother said we can't be friends. Because..."

Regulus swallowed, his body shivering. "Because you're Muggleborn."

"I'm doing you a favor," she said.

"Favor?" Regulus looked at the ground. "But you hate me."

"Although, really. I don't know why you'd want to be friends with me after what you said when we were little."

"Wait? You knew him when you were little. Isn't that a bit..."

"Because," Regulus said, looking at the ground. "Because you saved me, so why is it this time around." His lip trembled. "This time around, when you're actually at Hogwarts, can we meet earlier? Why?"

He took a deep breath, and then—

Regulus hurried out of the classroom, trying to find some nook to crawl into, crying. He reached up, wiping at the tears. "I guess it's the latter rather than the former since I know I didn't do this when I got older. Or is that right, because this entire thing..."

"Regulus?"

Regulus sniffed, looking up. "Siri?"