That Place

"It looks like Hogwarts," Regulus said to nobody in particular, looking around the place. "But, the flow of magic is all wrong. And there's this strange creaking sound, as if..." He tilted his head. "I wonder." He started walking, the sound continuing. "The place, wherever I am, must keep up the illusion of having the same kind of distance that it is attempting to recreate, but what is the purpose of this place?"

He took a deep breath.

"Sometimes, the answers aren't all that apparent when it comes to ancient magic, and one simply needs to remain cautious, but I think, with this, I may be able to find Sirius and get him out of here, though I think this place will be making him look the way I saw him in the dream—if one can call it a dream."

He continued walking, noticing none of the students reacted as if he shouldn't be there despite the fact that he stood there in front of them as an adult, wearing Muggle clothing such as the hoodie that Lettie provided and the jeans. Regulus sighed, following the trail of his brother's magic, distinct from the magic of that place.

"There you are!"

"Huh?" Regulus paused, eyes blinking, tilting his head back. And then his mouth opened, recognizing the person. "I should have been careful deciding that this was too easy, that I'd find Sirius..."

"Regulus. Seriously. I've been looking all over for you."

"Hi, Evan." Regulus smiled at the first-year version of Evan Rosier, his cousin-by-marriage. He reached out and petted the top of his cousin's head, unable to resist.

Evan sighed, reaching up to stop his hand from petting him. "Really? Why do you always have to do weird things, Regulus?"

"How tall am I?"

"How..." Evan let out a sigh. "What's with—you're shorter than me."

"I see," Regulus said, then, "Hey? Can you help me find my brother? Do you know where Sirius is?"

Evan sighed. "Yes, I know where he is. No, I don't want to help you find him."

"Why not?"

"Because he always makes you cry," Evan said. "That brother of yours. You know I'd follow you anywhere, Regulus."

"I'd prefer you didn't." Regulus swallowed. "I remember now. I'd thought about turning to Evan back then but I didn't want to drag him to his death as well. Because he would have followed me instead of Voldemort."

"You need someone to look out for you."

"I see." Regulus took a deep breath. "Then you will be taking me to see Sirius."

"What?"

"The way I see it, because I need to confront Sirius about something because I need to talk to him and see him, you're going to take me to him, right?"

Evan sighed. Then, "Fine. Fine, Regulus, but don't blame me if he makes you cry again."

Regulus followed after, and then, he saw him, breathing a sigh of relief. He lifted a hand and waved. "Sirius. Yo, Sirius!"

He watched his brother pause and turn to look at him, confused. Then, Sirius opened his mouth. "Who are you?"