Chapter 20

Astrid

I hover above the washing machine, hamper filled beside me. Dad had briefly explained his ancient washer to me, yet I still haven't gotten the knack of it yet. I pull open the dryer, ready to heft half my wardrobe into the hamper for folding. Peeling the small door open, I reach in to find sopping wet clothes.
"Noo!" I groan, throwing the clothes back in, and turning the knob to heavy dry. I throw my other load in the washer, letting the water pour over the assortment of clothing. I figured doing my two loads all at once, would be most efficient. I threw in my clothes after my shower, not worried about the towel wrapped around my body, in the absence of dad. I would look for a job, and hopefully a new car, by the time my clothes were done washing. I hop over a rouge shoe to exit the room, when my phone vibrates in my pocket.
Who could be calling this late?
Leo's name stares back at me through the screen, as I reluctantly accept.
"Yes, Leo?" I say, stopping in my tracks.
"Astridd..." He slurs from the other end. "I'm having one hell of a night." He says lazily.
"Leo, are you seriously drunk at this moment?" I say sharply.
"Come. Please. I'm out with some friends, it will be some fun for your boring life,"
"Excuse me? My life isn't boring."
"Astridd...come. We'll pick you up and have you back before you know you're gone... oh wait no hah before coach knows you're gone." He says, his words strung together between small laughs. I roll my eyes.
"No. Goodbye." I say, pulling back the phone to end the call. His voice draws me back in, with a sudden yell.
"Wait. It's either come, or I'll let coach know all about this internal investigation on him, you're so obsessed with." He warns. I blink, biting my lip. I know better than to call bullshit on Leo. I sigh and take a breath to give in.
"Fine. But you better have me back by 11."
"Bye princess."
I end the call in a huff. Cursing myself for listening to his drunken self. He won't remember this anyway. Though my feet still guide me toward my room. I contemplate letting him wait in front of my house, but as I glance down at my bare body, only veiled by my towel, I don't doubt his level of insanity. I groan at the realization hits that all my clothes are currently in the washer, and dripping in the dryer. I pray something is sitting in my drawers, as I pull open my top drawer.
Empty.
Shit.
I scramble around my room for a few more minutes, finding a small white mini skirt. I hold it up to my body in my mirror, and the shortness seems much more present. I throw it on my bed, finding a tight black lace top discarded near my closet, where it must have fell from the hamper. I reach into my underwear drawer, and find a few bathing suit tops. I search until I find a bra identical to my top. Hoping I have the same luck with underwear, a furiously throw bathing suits in search of a pair. I groan, until I see small black fabric peeking from the back of the drawer. I grin and reach to retrieve them. My smile falls, as I hold them up. Oh... It's an intricate thong, mimicking lingerie, but it's not the detailing and size that makes me want to scream. The side has a slim rip, held together only by a few strings.

I stumble outside, pulling at my skirt. It falls just short of my thighs, and my ass is practically out. The car settled outside, is loud, music pouring from the open windows. Leo jumps out of the car, waving his hands over head at me. Wearing a huge goofy smile on his face. His jean shorts fall baggy on his legs, dirty sneakers and a huge red T shirt to compliment his bright cheeks from the alcohol. He waves again, jumping up slightly.
"Your carriage has arrived!!" He calls out, patting the white convertible, and stumbling. I chuckle at his mannerisms, cute in a sense. I cross the lawn to the car, deciding tonight might not be too bad. I recall some of the boys from the team occupying the seats around me. Its packed. Leo slides in, making room for me. I look up into the rear view and make eye contact with the driver. A scowl forms on my face, as I move to open the door. Leo straps his hand across me, trapping my arm from opening the door.
"Relax, the only reason I agreed to pick you up, is that Leo threatened to kill me if I didn't." Tom says, turning to the boy in the passenger seat. "Spencer, get her a drink will you?"
The boy next to him, throws me a beer, and I catch it swiftly.
"Thanks." I turn to Leo, to see him watching me with the same goofy grin. I look past him to see Daniel. "Hey!" I call over, snapping his attention from his phone.
"Oh hey Astrid," He turns back to his phone, and shifts in his seat, space limited now, due to my presence. Leo takes the drink out of my hand, I instinctively try to snatch it back, the movement moving my whole body. His hand remains firm on the neck.
"Let me." He says, his smile dropping and his gaze focused on opening the beer. He turns his neck toward me, narrowing his eyes. His messy hair falling in his eyes. Now suddenly more black. "A princess shouldn't have to work." He states. Pointing a finger at my face with a chuckle. I lower his finger softly.
"I can open it myself," I reach for the bottle again, and he gently pulls away. With a small smile, he tilts my chin back, his finger ever gentle. My heart pounds in my chest, as he slowly pours the beer down my throat. It stings, the taste pure rubbish in my throat. His eyes turn dark, his smile slowly dropping.
"Fuck! We ran out." Spencer calls out from the front seat. I turn my attention to him, distracting myself from the boy next to me. Daniel looks up and does his best to bend forward with the lack of space.
"There's a gas station down the block, lets just go there." He calls out.
"Man I don't get paid till Friday, and I knocked all my cash out on shit for Elizabeth's birthday last week." Spencer calls back in a defeated tone.
"Leo's got cash," Tom points out. But he's not listening. His eyes are zoned in on me.
"Fuck, he's such a lightweight." Daniel mutters. "Lets just go man. Figure it out when we get there."
"Alright," Tom replies, speeding off into the night. The music inching louder with each second.