Chapter 53 - [The Law]

"It was the strangest thing ever," May said as she used her finger to push her hair behind her ear. "I mean, he said I've got all the symptoms of being pregnant... so I don't understand what happened but it was kinda scary."

I arched an eyebrow and shook my head. "That doctor needs to go back to medical school," I said.

She chuckled from behind her screen back in Oakville. "I'm fine though, so don't worry about me."

I smiled before sighing.

"Aunty Maya, you look exhausted."

Now I laughed, "you won't believe what's going on here."

"I'm sure you'll have a thousand great stories to tell when you get home."

I smiled at my princess, wanting so badly to tell her that Akhenatem wasn't dead in a tomb. But I couldn't tell her, not yet at least. Because he wasn't exactly completely alive either.

He clearly wasn't taking this resurrection thing very well.

Once I returned back to the hotel with him at about four in the morning, he collapsed. His face went unbelievably pale and his heartbeat was slowing. It almost even felt like he was getting thinner and thinner by the second. I wanted to take him to the hospital but he said not to. He assured me that no regular doctor could help him.

So I helped him to bed and hoped to god he would get better.

I had to sleep on the couch for two hours and then head out at six to explain what had happened last night. Akhenatem's chamber still had that open chamber with the resurrections spells. The only difference was that there was no longer a body on the bed and the scarab image was gone.

I made it clear that I was the one who opened the entrance. I lied, saying it was actually plaster and thankfully there was never any text over that area, aside from the note from Akhenatem which appeared and vanished on its own and only I had seen. If I had actually destroyed a spot with ancient text or images on it, I would have gotten in a lot of trouble.

Thankfully, the officers who accompanied me into the tomb last night were fine. After taking Akhenatem out of the tomb and leaving him in the car, I ran back up the cliff and shook the two officers awake. I lied to them and told them that I knocked out too, and it was probably because of all the dust from when I wiped off the paint from the wall.

They believed me.

Everything was fine.

But despite my attempts to make this all sound less crazy, my PhD students were thoroughly freaked out. The tomb filled with resurrection spells and no body was an odd thought, though. I was sure they thought that he rose from the dead and walked out at some point.

And they weren't wrong.

After that crazy long day, I had come home and seen that Akhenatem was not doing any better.

Which was why I didn't tell May about him when Ethan told me about all the craziness that was going on back at home. I for one knew that it was definitely no coincident that all of her things returned at that time.

But now a week had passed since then and Akhenatem was still sick. I had absolutely no idea what I was supposed to do to make him better. My only goal right now was to bring him back to my niece. I wanted nothing more than her happiness right now... but there was literally nothing I could think of doing to help her.

"Aunty Maya?"

"Yeah, yeah?" I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at her.

She chuckled. "You should sleep Aunty Maya."