CHAPTER EIGHT ♛

R A Y N E    P A R K E R

"Hey Kendall, you alright?"

Her dark hair almost hit his face. She gasped.

"Rayne! Gosh sorry I didn't see you there! Yeah I'm fine, why?"

"You've been ignoring me all day, I was getting worried."

Kendall laughed, but it sounded fake.

"I wasn't ignoring you, Parker. I was just lost in my own world. Sorry."

Rayne glanced at his watch, and back at her face.

"You going home now? I was thinking maybe you and I could go to the boardwalk at the beach there, to talk maybe."

Kendall smiled, nodding.

"That would be nice."

Rayne grinned, grabbing her hand as he led her outside of the school.

He couldn't help himself from thinking about what Bianca had said earlier. What if Bi was right, and Kendall did like me too?

K E N D A L L W E S T

"So what did you wanna talk about, Rayne?"

Kendall asked, licking her cotton candy ice cream.

"Urm...I don't know. Just something Bianca had told me about. She said that you might like me. Like a crush kind of way. Is she right?"

Kendall stopped in her tracks, biting her lip.

"Kendall? You're my best friend. Come on, I won't get mad at you. I just wanna know."

Best friend? That was fast. She thought. She wasn't sure of her answer. She wanted so badly to tell him no, but she couldn't do that. She didn't want to lie to him nor herself. Sighing, she replied,

"Actually...yes. I kinda do. And I know it's cliche af, since you're my best friend and all. But I do. Just like how you like Bianca."

Rayne seemed to be deep in thought, too.

"I don't like Bianca like that anymore. Actually I still do. But I'm not in love with her. I'm in love with you, Kendall. Since the moment we met."

She smiled brightly as his answer, as he grabbed her hands and held them in his own.

"I'm in love with you, Kendall West. Utterly and completely."

R A Y N E P A R K E R

He meant exactly what he had just said to Kendall. This time, he was definitely sure of it.

Her smile got even brighter, as she leaned in towards him. Their faces were only inches apart and just as he was about to close up the gap between them, his phone beeped. A new messaged from ISAA, probably.

Awkwardly, he stepped away from her, taking out his phone to check the message. He was right.

{ ISAA } 4:57 pm : Mr Parker. We need you to go to the central police carpark immediately. There was an alert there and we figure that our bad guys might be the ones setting off the alarm. Good luck.

Rayne groaned, cursing silently. He almost got his perfect moment with Kendall, but the ISAA and the bad guys just had to ruin it.

"I'm so sorry, Kendall. I gotta go, I promise I will call you later!"

And without hesitations, he left, without her reacting.

K E N D A L L W E S T

Kendall felt like her heart had just been ripped out of her chest. She blamed the ISAA.

She knew that they were going to message him. She knew it. She should have figured out when, then maybe she wouldn't have said that she liked Rayne.

Stupid feelings. She thought to herself as she walked. Suddenly she realized something.

The ISAA messaged Rayne. That wouldn't have been a good sign. There must have been trouble somewhere.

"Should have asked Rayne where he was going. It would make this so much easier." She muttered to herself, as her phone started to beep.

Oh speak of the devil. She thought, reading the message.

{ ISAA} 4:59pm : Agent West, we need to you follow Agent Parker. He's going to the central police carpark. Be there ASAP.

Rolling her eyes, she sighed, running off to help the guy she loved.