CHAPTER FIFTEEN ♛

R A Y N E P A R K E R

"Rayne, hold up."

Rayne heard someone calling him from behind. Aunt Paige had a worried look on her face.

"Yeah?"

Rayne called out to her, as she smiled weakly.

"Rayne, what's wrong? Ever since the day you went missing for hours, you've been different. Scary different. And now you're angry at Bianca and Hunter? For what, Rayne? They've always been your best friends, and you've never been angry at them before."

Rayne sighed, shaking his head profusely.

"I'm not mad at them, Aunt Paige. I'm not. I'm mad at myself. Mad at myself for making one of the most important people in my life disappear, putting my two best friends in great danger, and worst of all, trusting a criminal."

He whisper-yelled, burying his head in his hands. Aunt Paige seemed to be shock at what her adoptive son had said. She pulled him into her loving embrace, brushing his hair as he cried into her arms.

"Rayne, let me tell you something. I don't know what you have gotten into, with the whole trusting a criminal thing, but if anything, I know you will find a way out of this. You always have. Because you never give up hope, no matter what comes your way. Why do you think you're the star quarterback? Because you perverse through, when you first got into football, you were at the bottom. Now look at where you are. Rayne, you're one who doesn't give up. So don't give up now. Right the wrong that has been done."

Aunt Paige cradled him in her arms, as he hugged her even tighter.

"Thank you, Aunt Paige. For everything. I love you so much."

He mumbled, making her smile brightly.

"Oh honey, I love you too."

♕ ♕ ♕ ♕

Thud. Thud.

The basketball landed in the hoop, as Rayne ran forward, dribbling it once again.

"Rayne."

He heard his voice being called, but he ignored it. Even after the talk with his Aunt Paige, he still felt angry.

"Rayne Maurice Parker."

He whipped his head around, rolling his eyes in annoyance.

"I told you not to say my middle name, Hunter."

"It's a nice name."

"It's a girl's name, Hunt. It's your mother's name. Maurice Rayes."

"That's why it's nice."

Rayne burst out laughing. Only Hunter could make him laugh, even when he was peeved. He recalled that when they were young, whenever he was upset or angry, Hunter would be the first to crack a joke, easing the tension. Either that or he would purposely 'accidentally do something silly'. Now, as much as Rayne wouldn't admit, that was hilarious to watch.

"Thanks, Hunt. I needed that."

Rayne finally said, smiling as Hunter nodded.

"I know, and I'm sorry."

"Hunter-"

"No. We're best friends, right? Lately I've been focusing on the 'best' part, and just been doing my own thing, wondering why you never told me you were a secret agent. I have completely forgotten to be your friend. Even earlier, when you found out that Thompson was the reason your parents are dead. All I did was tell you that it was alright, and that you should calm down. That's what a friend would do. But you and I, we've been through so much together, we're more than friends. You're like my brother, Rayne. And a brother wouldn't just tell you to calm down. A brother would tell you 'Let's go kick some bad guy butt' because they deserve it. Mess with the Parkers, you mess with all of us."

Rayne grinned at his best friend, as they fist bumped each other.

"I second that."

A feminine voice was heard, as Bianca Wells appeared from behind the pillar. Rayne wanted to question why she was spying on them, but knowing Bianca, he was surely to get slapped with her sassy comments, so he decided against it. Instead, he smiled, give her a side hug.

"Alright, let's go get Kendall back."

A U T H O R ' S N O T E

I'm so sorry that I haven't been updating much this year! School work was really been a pain in the arse, I swear. But since there are only a few chapters of checkmate left [yes, it's coming to an end. all things do, sadly :( ], I promise I will try updating every week. But in the meantime, thank you for reading and being patient!

all the love,
rach xx